The Maze [21]

[22]

Ricky shot round the corner and slid across some see-through ice that had frozen there. He cursed loudly and slowly stumbled back to us. I could see the middle straight ahead of us but this ice sheet in the way was very thin and very dangerous. Ricky broke the ice and he fell into the murky brown water beneath.

"Shit that's cold" he stuttered as he caught his breath "Someone gonna help me out?"

Rowan looked at us and then groaned as he walked over and stuck out his hand for Ricky to grab.

Rowan pulled him out and they both slowly trudged back to the edge of the ice.

"I'm hungry" said Rowan looking longingly at the middle.

"Guess what" said Kyle "I have some Jaffa cakes in my bag" he threw his arms up and Ricky gave out a loud cheer.

We sat down in the middle of the path, which I thought was a bit stupid, and shared Kyle's Jaffa cakes.

"I know, we should just chuck Ricky across the ice and hope for the best" said Kyle scoffing a biscuit.

"Yeah, and then when you get to the other side you can get our bags and slide em to us" said Rowan.

"What about me after then?" said Ricky.

"Not really sure. Don't really care to be honest" There was a long pause and then Rowan laughed out loud "I'm only joking. But in case you fall through the ice and drown you better slide the bags over first" Arran scoffed and Kyle beamed at Ricky.

"You know what? Why don't you do it Rowan? Then if you drown we won't have to listen to your sense of humour everyday, which is a major plus I think"

"That was a great comeback Ricky" said Rowan sarcastically "But everyone loves my sense of humour"

"I think you're the most annoying human on the planet" said Rhea brushing the crumbs of her jacket.

"So you've met every human on the planet then?"

"No, but I don't have to to realise that you are the number 1 annoying person"

"Oh, aha we have a joker in the group guys. I guess you're the comedian Rhea, well done for being so funny" Rowan sarcastically clapped his hands and then folded his arms.

"How about I go" I said.

"Well, that's the best idea all day" said Rowan giving Rhea evils "It would be better if Rhea offered to go but I suppose you'll do"

"Ah thanks Rowan, now I feel honoured" I said in a squeaky voice and Ricky laughed in Rowans face.

"Remember, slide the bags back first Grace" said Kyle smiling jokingly.

"Yeah whatever" I stepped onto the ice and jolted myself forwards. I slipped and slid across the ice.

"Don't worry about what you look like" shouted Rowan "I can assure you you look very, very, very stupid"

I looked round and saw Rowan was holding up two thumbs.

"At least I don't look stupid all the time Rowan"

"Ooo" said Ricky and Rowans smug face cleared into a pissed off sort of face; I turned round pleased with myself and shuffled the rest of the way.

The bags were bright orange so I had no difficulty seeing them. However the box they were in was chained shut and there didn't seem to be a key. I looked back to the rest of the group, who were watching cautiously, and shrugged my shoulders.

"What are you waiting for?" shouted Rowan and Kyle smacked him on the shoulder.

"Don't shout Rowan"