Moving: Her Beta Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

We stop a few steps after my question's been voiced. Oliver turns to look at me as I do the same to look at him. Oliver just chuckles at that and shakes his head as looks down at me with a smile. He grabs both of hands in his, the great warmth of his hands warming me all over. I look down at our hands to notice just how well they fit together.

"The extra bedrooms are for when there are little ones." Oliver responds with a smile. My eyes just widen as my head shoots up and my cheeks begin to burn pink. He chuckles lightly at my expression. "Sorry, that was pretty blunt. But the main purpose of the extra rooms is to ensure that our children have their own rooms. The rooms can be used for any other family members to live with us as well, but they would normally just take one of the other pack rooms in the whole other wing. This floor is for the Beta family as the top floor is for the Alpha family." Oliver explains further.

I nod in acknowledgement. I look around our floor and smile again. "I like our floor." I state with a growing smile. My gaze moves back to my mate to see that he's smiling down at me. But a thought comes to me and I'm afraid of how Oliver will react to it. "Oliver, I know it's really none of my business and you don't have to answer at all, but where are your parents and their beta?" I ask carefully.

Oliver scowls slightly, but smiles at me nonetheless. "The previous beta and his mate died along with my parents when a crazy rogue came barreling through our territory. He and a group of other rogues were chasing someone or other, and they came through our territory. The beta, his mate, and my parents were just a group of friends that went out for a double date. My brother was eighteen while I was fourteen, and we were the ones to find them when we went out to check on the borders and the guards that were in the middle of a change at the time. They were killed because they were there, not for power or revenge or anything of the sort. So my brother named me his Beta, and we did what we could to protect our pack. No rogue had ever entered our territory and not been immediately killed until the day you came stumbling into it with the snowy storm." Oliver says smiling at me. He looks sad because he misses his parents, but happy that I'd come stumbling into their territory.

I didn't say a word; I just removed my hands from his and hugged him. He chuckled before sighing and hugging me back. I knew that I would never recover if anything ever happened to my mom and, even if I didn't know him at all, my father. I could already feel the tears as they'd built up in my eyes as he'd been talking. Oliver began to pet my hair as a soft 'sh' passed his lips as he tried to calm me down from my soft crying.

My grip on him just tightened as I imagined what it must have been like for him. He had lost his parents and become the beta all in one shot at the young age of fourteen. It would be heartbreaking at any age, but he shouldn't have had to deal with all of that at fourteen years old. Despite that it was his sadness and his parents that had been lost, he was the one comforting me over the loss. But I didn't care because I didn't want Oliver to ever feel that kind of sadness and loss ever again. I could feel it as if it were my own, and it was heartbreaking.

"You're nineteen." I state as my crying dies down into mere sniffles and realization dawns on me. Vane is four years older than Oliver which means that Oliver is nineteen as Vane is twenty-three.

"Hm, I'll be nineteen in about a month. Vane is four years and a month older than me." Oliver states with a smile. I nod my head in understanding. "My mom's birthday was last month, exactly a month ago today. My dad's birthday the month before on the day after. My parents used to joke that that was on purpose. When's your birthday? I actually don't know a lot about you aside from what I've learned these past few weeks." Oliver says curiously.