Chapter 3-Christmas

"I'm trying to protect you!"

"Protect me from what?"

"From...me." he seemed hesitant.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm a deatheater."

"W...what?"

He rolled up his sleeve and showed me the mark. Suddenly, I felt really dizzy.

"I...I...I need to...go."

I could hear Draco shouting my name as I ran back to the common room. I needed somewhere peaceful to scream my head off. I couldn't believe Draco was a deatheater!

~~~~~

It's been two weeks since Draco and I had that fight. Unfortunately, we have to do a project together in History of Magic, so we had to talk to each other one day or another. I think Pansy noticed we weren't talking because she was flirting with him, of course. She was laughing and running her grabby little hands all over him. Wait! Why should I care? Where not even talking! The truth is I do care.

Draco had asked me to meet him in the library after school, and I did. I may have been mad at him, but I didn't want to fail either. I walked into the library and sat at the table next to Draco without saying a single word. We sat there in an awkward silence when he finally decided to talk:

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was a deatheater. I was just trying to protect you."

"I can protect myself, thank you. why did you even become a... deatheater."

That word makes me sick. It makes me think of my parents who were killed by deatheaters, their own friends.

"I didn't want to. He would have hurt my mother."

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

"I was afraid of what you might think."

"Fair enough. But you should have just told me. I'm sorry, I overreacted."

"It's alright. You had every right to hate me." I placed my hands on his.

"I could never hate you."

I felt his lips on mine, soft and gentle. We completely forgot about our project, we talked all evening until we had to go back to our dormitories. A week later, we finally managed to complete our project and hand it in. We did very well considering we didn't work very hard on it.

Christmas vacation was just around the corner. My brother was invited to Slughorn's Christmas party. He wanted me to go with him, probably because he was too afraid to ask another girl. I got to the party and I saw Blaise flirting with Mathilda. I felt like hitting him for flirting with my best friend, but I knew he was a good guy and he wouldn't hurt her. The party was so long and boring, until Filch walked in dragging Draco by the arm.

"Take your hands off me you filthy squid!"

"Professor Slughorn sir, I just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party."

"Okay, okay, I was date crashing! Happy?!"

"I'll escort him out." said Professor Snape in his usual monotone voice.

"Certainly, Professor."

Snape walked back in moments later, I rushed out to talk to Draco.

"Hey,"

"Hey."

"Snape didn't give you a hard time, did he?"

"No,"

"Jared and I are organizing a Christmas party with a few friends if you want to come."

"I don't know, I might be busy."

"Any chance I can convince you otherwise?" I said as I stepped closer and placed my hands around his neck.

"Maybe."

I leaned in and kissed him, he kissed back. It felt like hours, but it was only seconds. We broke apart.

"I should get back  to the party. Jared's probably worried."

"Probably."

"Merry Christmas Draco."

"Merry Christmas Paige."

I gave him a light kiss on the cheek and went back to the party, leaving Draco alone in the corridor.

The day of the Christmas party came. I was so excited! I had been cooking all day, while Jared was cleaning and putting up decorations. Mathilda came over early and I was nowhere near ready. I was covered in flour, my hair was a mess. I was lucky she was there. She finished up the preparations and ran upstairs to help me get ready. I did my makeup while she fixed my hair. I was just putting my red lace dress on when I could hear the guests start to arrive. I walked down the stairs and the first person I saw was Draco.

"Welcome to my little corner of the world. What do you think? Not bad for an orphan who grew up on the streets of Boston."

"I have to say I'm impressed."

"Paige!" I heard a familiar friendly voice scream my name.

Emily had just flown in from New York. She was my only muggle friend, but she knew about the wizarding world because her older sister was a witch. She unfortunately died when one of her spells backfired, or at least that's what the MACUSA says. She was also my only friend from the foster home in New York. She was lucky enough to have a family take her in when she was twelve. I ran up to her and gave her a big hug.

"I'm so happy to see you again! I missed you so much!" she screamed into my ear.

"I missed you too. We have much to catch up on."

After almost two hours of talking g with Emily and my other guests, I went out to get some fresh air. I was standing in the doorway when I heard a familiar voice.

"Careful, you might catch a cold."

"I'm used to it. Enjoying the party? Sorry about Emily. Ever since her sister died, she's been fascinated by the wizarding world."

"It's okay. It's nice to be with friends and family during the holidays. We don't do this sort of thing now that the Dark Lord is back."

In my head, I was trying to imagine Thanksgiving with deatheaters or opening presents on Christmas day with Lord Voldemort. It made me laugh a little.

"Well, at least you have a family."

"You have a family, Jared, Mathilda and Emily. Sometimes the family you choose is better than the one you're given."

He was right. I don't need parents to have a family. He pulled close until our faces were only inches apart. "I love you" I thought I might have misheard him. I was nervous when he said that because I had never really said to anyone except my brother, and that's completely different.

"I...I love y...you too."

He kissed me passionately, I kissed back. For a moment, I forgot what was going on around me, I forgot about the party. It was just Draco and I. When we broke apart, he took out of the pocket of his jacket, a small black box. Inside was a thin silver chain and a small diamond hanging from it.

"Draco, it's beautiful! Thank you! But you didn't have to get me anything."

"But I wanted to."

I turned around so he could tie the necklace. I could feel him lightly kiss my neck and shoulders. I turned and looked into his icy blue eyes. I looked up and saw a mistletoe hanging above our heads.

"Probably Mathilda's doing."

"Probably." Just as I leaned I felt a cool breeze brush against my arm. I had goose bumps all over.

"Are you cold?"

"A bit."

"Come on. Let's go inside."

As soon as we got back inside, Jared was waiting to dance with me. Ever since we were little, we loved to dance, and we took classes. It was so much fun. We danced until we couldn't stand anymore. It was the best Christmas ever.