Chapter 1: The legend of Maui

A/N: ok guys, I know I said I ship Moana and Maui but I kinda started crushing on him too 😳 so I made an oc, Lana. So this will be a Maui x oc story. Enjoy!

Lana's POV

When I was a kid, Grandma Tala would tell us stories to scare us into not doing something. They never scared me or Moana though. We loved those stories. My favorite stories were about Maui the Demigod and his adventures. How I miss those stories....

*flashback 13 years ago*
We were gathered in a hut with Grandma telling stories. There was me, Moana, and several boys I didn't know very well. Grandma was telling the story of how Maui the Demigod stole the heart of Te Fiti. "In the beginning, there was only ocean. Then Te Fiti, the goddess of islands, rose up out of the ocean. Her heart, the one thing that created life, rested in her chest, a green, shimmering stone. A while later, a demigod showed up. Maui, was a demigod of the sky and sea, and also a shapeshifter. He got his powers from a great fishhook. He was a great warrior. But then, the heart was stolen by Maui himself." Grandma told the story with drama. We gasped when we heard Maui stole the heart. We oohed when Grandma was describing the beautiful stone. "After Maui stole the heart, he fled. But Te Kā, the lava demon, confronted him. Maui was struck down from the sky. The fishhook and the heart were both lost to the sea. And to this day the darkness spreads across the ocean, infecting each island until everything is consumed in a dark, evil death." Grandma told us, pouring ink over a map, showing the spread of darkness at the end. "There are monsters across the ocean, still searching for the heart today." She ended with an evil laugh. We all screamed, well at least the other kids did, Mo and I both sat there in awe, soaking in the story. All the kids were still screaming until Father walked in to calm everyone down. "It's just a story, there are no monsters." He said. But deep down, I knew it wasn't just a story, and I knew that Mo knew that too. My thoughts were interrupted when Father tripped over something and caused all the canvases to hang down, showing some of the terrifying monsters.

After storytelling, me and Mo went to the beach, a place where we felt like we fit in. We looked at the water for a bit, until I went up to touch the water. The ocean swept back, leaving a space where there was absolute no water. It was completely dry and in the center of the circle was a pink shell. I was about to pick it up, when Moana tapped my shoulder, pointing to a small turtle stuck under some leaves. There were some birds surrounding it, waiting for the turtle to come out. We looked at each other, one look being all it took to show we had the same idea. I reached up on my tippy toes to grab a palm leaf, while Moana shooed the birds away for a bit. I carefully helped the turtle stay under the leaf as we walked to the water slowly. Every so often a bird would come down to try to eat the turtle, but Mo would shoo it away. Right when we were so close to the water, a flock of birds came down from the trees. We both shooed away the birds as fast as we could, me leaving the turtle unguarded. A bird came up and flipped the poor turtle over onto its back. Mo quickly shooed it away, yelling at it for being mean. I walked over to the turtle still struggling to get up, and gently pushed it onto its belly. It waddled away into the sea, doing a roll, flipping its fins in the air. Moana and I both looked at each other and smiled, knowing we did the right thing. I walked up to the water again and it swept back as before, revealing the pink shell. I ran and picked it up staring at it in awe. The ocean peeled back more and more as we both went along and picked up shells. We saw the baby turtle and its mother swimming in the wall of water. Soon the water revealed a green stone. Moana ran forward to pick it up, dropping a few shells in the process. We both stared at it, tracing the swirly pattern on it. It looked exactly like the stone Grandma described in the legend of Maui. When I looked up from the sparkling stone, there was a wave of water floating above me. I reached up out of curiosity to touch it, Moana gasping once she saw it. It squirted water in my face, making me giggle. The water then picked up Moana's hair, taking the pink flower out and twisting it into a spear looking hair style. We both laughed for a while. We then heard Father calling our names. "Moana! Lana!" The water quickly turned Mo's hair back to normal and pushed us onto a piece of driftwood, sending us back to the shore. Father saw us and ran to us, sweeping us off the sand. Moana dropped the pretty stone. We both saw it land in the sand, so we begged Father to let us go back. "Want to go back!" we shouted as he carried us back to the village.

*flashback over*
I remember that day, although sometimes I still think that wave and water part was a dream. Moana and I never spoke of it later on, so I guess she forgot. Oh great, Father's going on about becoming a chief and responsibilities. We are supposed to prepare to march to the town hall. We dress up for that, usually in red, to show our "royalty." I don't want to do this, I don't want a part in ruling. Why do I have to do this?

A/N: sorry for the long chapter guys but this is a setup chapter. bear with me for the next chapter, it might be more setup, i'm not sure yet. I hope you enjoy this new book!