Chapter 7: Tamatoa

hey guys i'm back!! thank you soooo much for all these views! i might have changed the way Lana acts in this chapter only because i can't really tell how she acts in the other chapters and i want her to be different

Lana's POV
We had been sailing for a long time, Maui doing most of the work. I was still perched on top of the post, and Moana was pacing below me, begging Maui to teach her how to sail. I giggled, hearing Moana groan as she was denied yet again. I began to hum, braiding my hair. I didn't get too into the song to actually sing, plus my voice sort of hurt. My legs swung back and forth, enjoying the breeze and sun.

Maui announced we were there. Where were we again?

"Hey Maui, where are we exactly?" I asked, jumping off of the boat.

"I thought I said we were going to see Tamatoa to get my hook back, or did you forget already?" He answered, turning around and facing the cliff. After arguing a bit over if Moana and I could come, Maui finally gave in, seeing my puppy dog eyes. I cheered, skipping up to the bottom of the cliff before launching myself at it. I was afraid of heights, but how bad could it be? I continued to climb confidently, my two friends just below me.

"I-I can't do t-this." I stuttered, gripping the rock face until my knuckles turned white. It had been a few minutes from when I first started climbing, and everyone was ahead of me. I felt weak and unneeded. Moana has been shouting encouraging thoughts down to me over the splashing of the ocean, that was far below.

"Come on Lana, you're not giving up are you?" Maui shouted, dropping down to my level. I shook my head and shakily grabbed rock above me.

"Don't look down, don't look down," I muttered, trying not to look, and keep my eyes on the sky. "Don't look down...Ahh! I looked down!" I screeched, looking at the dizzying height I was at. Maui chuckled from beside me, holding a hand out. I quickly took it with a blush, and let him lead me up the rest of the rock face.

Once at the top, I scrambled away from the edge, panting heavily.

"You okay kid?" Maui asked as he just climbed over the edge. I nodded, slowly catching my breath. "Well that's good, 'cause now we're gonna jump down a hole!" Maui cheered, growing his hands up. I shivered at the thought and decided to take a rest and close my eyes.

I woke up to someone shaking me, Moana.

"What's happening?" I grumbled, slapping her hands away.

"Maui jumped down a hole and we have to follow him." My sister summarized, gesturing to the huge pit in front of us. I slowly got up and walked over to it, peering down into the depths.

"I'm still falling!" Maui's voice echoed off the sides of the rock. Instead of freaking out, I took Moana's hand and jumped in, pulling her down with me. Immediately I let out loud, high pitched screams, trying to grab onto something, anything. Moana was below me, yelling something I couldn't distinguish. Suddenly, I hit water, but I somehow kept falling. I choked, coughing and inhaling water. Is this what drowning feels like? My mind panicked, causing my limbs to flail and wave. I couldn't breathe for the longest time, I almost passed out. I thought it was the end until I felt air swishing past me as I kept falling. I couldn't scream or breathe because of the water stuck in my lungs, so instead I let out strangled noises. My body smashed into the ground, knocking some water and the little air I was surviving on, out of me. I coughed and gasped, lifting my head from the dirt. My eyes came into focus to see Maui in front of me. I weakly waved my hand at him, still coughing and wheezing. I zoned out for a bit, focusing on getting all the water out of my lungs, which were trying so hard to keep me alive. After a few more minutes of coughing, Moana showed up and smacked my back over and over, breathing heavily. As soon as I could talk, I yelled.

"What the heck was that? Were you trying to get us killed? We're not immortal you know!" I screamed hoarsely. Moana continued to hit my back, to which I got annoyed and gently shoved her away. Maui chuckled at my outburst and walked away. I growled, reluctantly following him to a cave opening.

"Here's where Tamatoa lives, he has my hook." He muttered, pointing to a mound of gold and gems. My brown eyes scanned the pile, landing on a fishhook on the top. I smiled brightly, walking in and getting ready to climb the mountain of riches.

"Lana no! What are you doing, are you crazy?" Maui whisper shouted. I gave him a look saying, I got this, and continued up the pile. I made it to the top, knocking off a few jewels and gold coins. I grabbed the hook and tried to pull it from the pile, failing miserably. I felt both pairs of brown eyes on me, watching in anticipation. I finally heaved out the larger than life hook, almost falling off due to the weight. That's when rumbling emitted from the ground below the riches, swaying me. Just as I was about to fall off, a purple claw caught me by the foot. I gulped seeing my mistake. Tamatoa lived under the pile of gold.