Chapter 20

It was a great dream. Amanda was scratching the extremely itchy spot where my wing connected to my back. I stretched out on my side and sleepily hummed in delight as I halfway kneaded the sand with my claws.

Something seemed odd though. My sleepy mind couldn't quite identify it through the thick haze of sleep. I blinked sleepily and froze as I noticed a large hand in my view. Taureen pulled his hand back slowly before resuming whatever he had been doing on the laptop.

I blinked in sleepy confusion; he had been scratching the itchy spots on my back. To the best of my knowledge, this was the first time that he had touched me since he had picked me up in the park. I wasn't sure what to think.

I could feel the sun starting to rise though, and the pull of the Morning Song was greater than my confusion. I got up and shook myself off before heading over to the window. My voice once more raised in song despite the fact that the sun was hidden behind thick clouds. Taureen always recorded my singing during the Morning Song.

I knew when the sun had cleared the horizon even though I couldn't see it. My song faded, and I went for a bath. He had gotten smarter, and a thick absorbent towel now resided on the table. After a few rotations in both the water and the sand bowl, I was fairly clean. I tried to ignore the fact that several spots along my back were still itchy.

With my wing still bound and somewhat painful, I couldn't manage a thorough cleaning. Some spots on my back had always needed outside assistance to clean. Taureen had managed to find one of those while I was sleeping. I was still off balance regarding my wake up call.

Breakfast was another hurdle. The last two days had been grueling; unless Taureen gave it to me, I didn't get a single scrap of food. I had tried to resist yesterday but, as I had assumed, when it came to the waiting game, I lost by a landslide. Trying to starve myself to death was out of the question; my instincts were too strong to pull that one off.

Taureen was already holding a piece of fruit as he waited for me to come over. With a shake of annoyance, I jumped from the table to the couch beside him. For some reason, he tried to ensure that I spent most of the meal standing on his lap.

He wouldn't be so thrilled if I dug my claws in, but it isn't exactly the wisest to bite the hand that feeds you. Or in this case, scratch his legs to shreds. I would probably get my least favorite foods for a month... I liked my food too much to stir up trouble like that. I hadn't been chosen by the mad scientists for my stupidity.

I finished a piece of orange before twisting my head to try and nibble at an itchy spot just above my wing. My claws couldn't get at it due to the way my wings were connected. I gave up after a few moments and took the offered piece of watermelon.

I glanced back and gave a low growl as I noticed he was moving his hand up behind me. I pinned my ear tufts down and pricked my claws lightly into his legs. Taureen ignored my warnings and reached over to gently scratch the itchy spot.

I was tense at first before relaxing somewhat. The relief of having the itch finally soothed after weeks was simply too great. I watched his hand carefully, but he just kept on lightly scratching with his nails. I could actually see the faint film of stuff that had built up coming off as he scratched.

I glanced ahead again as I saw some movement; his other hand held a sunburst berry. I couldn't refuse that at breakfast. I gently took it and chewed it slowly, savoring the flavor. I never did tell anyone that I get several sunburst berries a day... They would be envious. Although they would not be envious of my situation.

I tensed again as I felt Taureen lightly brush his thumb across the spot he had been scratching. I glanced back to see him pulling his hand back to his side. I turned back to the raspberry he was offering. Trying to butter me up with my favorites, huh? Just wait until you release me. I will be making myself scarce as fast as I can.