Chapter 59

"Found the alpha female. The fire is being lit. Stand by."

At that announcement, Taureen sent his skid high into the sky. We could easily see the events down in the meadow clearly, but we were well and far above the reach of any creature that walked on the ground. Probably around the height of a human six story building.

Minutes later, crawlers and the occasional sicora exited as whisps of smoke drifted out of the entrance. The fighters were waiting for them. The crawlers were easily dispatched with an energy blast, and they relied on the shields to contain the sicora until a single bolt laced with my saliva took the creature down.

The guards with the bolt guns took turns firing at emerging sicora. I noticed that Keith didn't join them. I bet he was waiting for that alpha female. There was no need to worry about the female's mate because, much like a praying mantis, the female would kill and eat her mate. He was old history.

A dozen sicora blasted out of the entrance, but my attention was on what was behind them. I stared in disbelieving shock. I had wondered why the entrance was large enough to drive a small shuttle into when an adult sicora could squeeze into most places that a human could crawl through. It was that large because it needed to be for the alpha female to squeeze out.

I still couldn't comprehend how she managed to fit her massive bulk through that opening. My eyes widened in shock as she finally exited the tunnel and roared her fury. I exclaimed, "You didn't tell me that we were fighting Godzilla!"

Taureen gave me an odd look. "I have no idea what a godzilla is to even respond to that comment."

I squeezed my eyes shut and fought the desire to facepalm. There was no way he could have possibly known about the human movies. "It is an old human mythology of a huge reptile that climbed out of the sea and was capable of destroying entire cities within hours."

Taureen glanced back down at the enraged creature. "Well, they weren't far off."

My eyes were drawn back to the female sicora, but I couldn't figure out my emotions. Crawlers made me want to snarl, and sicora made me want to flame and bite. She was a far cry from any sicora I had seen so far.

She was huge, and her heavyset bulk would have dwarfed elephants. I doubted that my claws and teeth could even pierce her dull black hide. Her long neck was thick with muscle, supporting a massive head that was likely capable of biting through tree trunks.

I wanted to flame her, but, for once, I felt caution around a sicora. I was wildly outclassed - and I knew it. Her hide had a rough appearance to it, and I wasn't sure if she would even notice my flame if I did get close enough to land a strike. I was practically shaking in my desire to help with the attack, but I knew Taureen would never allow me near a sicora, let alone one this large.

The equipment techs now wielded huge turret weapons as dozens of energy blasts ripped through the air at the young matriarch. She screamed her rage, but didn't seem overly affected by the barrage. She rammed into the shields, but they held against her assault. She reared to try and strike at the skids in the air around her.

"I always thought that the Kymari would have used more deadly weapons against the sicora. I know these aren't the biggest guns you guys have."

His words were quiet enough that our companions wouldn't be able to hear them, and they would likely mistake his soft words as reassurances to me. "Most energy weapons do not work well on sicora, their skin has an odd coating that dissipates the blast and minimizes the damage to almost nothing. We did not have time to bring larger physical projectiles. Such weapons are normally not nearly as effective in battle as energy weapons, and we had no need for such weapons on this planet."