Chapter 47

Eventually, the four women took their leave, and Taureen escorted them to the door and held it open for them. He went back to the living room, still holding me in his arms. He asked, "How was your day?"

"Not too bad. I was oddly out of sorts once you were gone, but it was mostly controllable. I was just a bit restless and anxious."

"I was the same," he said. "It did not feel right without your weight on my shoulder. I am so used to seeing your shiny gold scales, that not seeing them put me on edge. I was fairly irritable by the time I got to the meeting. The Elders didn't seem surprised by my mood and kept the meeting as short and to-the-point as possible. How did the ladies treat you?"

I shrugged. "Aeria kept an eye on me and constantly offered food. The others kept their distance. I was not aware that the discussions female Kymari have were so vastly different from what you and your friends often discuss."

He tilted his head in curiosity. "How so?"

I grinned mischievously at him. "Well, I got to hear several rundowns and comparisons of almost every male who had shown even the slightest interest in any of them."

"And...?" He looked really focused, as if he was highly interested in what I had overheard.

I was sure my amusement was plain in my mindvoice. "Well, you definitely have Aeria's attention. You had been on her short list of names long before you ever saw me. Apparently, she saw you help her brother once when you weren't aware that she was watching out of a friend's window. Your promotion is an unexpected bonus."

The skin on his neck flushed a bit darker. I chirped in amusement. "I think your blush tells me your thoughts on this."

He tilted his head, more serious now. "And what do you think of me courting her?"

I blinked slowly as I considered it. "I think it would be good for both of you. I know you really like her. Aeria was one of the ones who always watched the Morning Song, and I have seen no hint of aloofness that I noticed in one or two of the other females in the park."

He smiled and said, "I wish to invite her over for supper when she comes by tomorrow morning."

I tilted my head as I thought. "Then we should stop by a park to grab some of those orange and yellow flowers that grow along certain paths. If I recall correctly, she often paused to smell them. I can even drop them on the table if you want to make it a bit more romantic."

"Could I possibly convince you to carry them in your mouth and land on her shoulder to offer them to her at a prearranged signal?"

I grinned at his growing excitement. "Yes, but you better fill me in on the details so I know exactly what you want me to do."

*      *      *

Aeria inquired, "This is very good. Can I possibly get the recipe?"

Taureen nodded. "Of course."

I lounged on a wall perch while watching the two Kymari start to eat their supper. It was a fancy five-course meal. Kymari technology allowed Taureen to make everything and put it in special preservation heaters or coolers so that it was just as fresh as when he had made it. This also allowed him to show off his cooking skills, serve the plates, and eat with Aeria.

They finished their first course, and Taureen got up to take that set of plates away and bring the next ones. He glanced at me and whistled softly. I dropped off of my perch and swooped around a different corner.