Chapter 40

I barely noticed Aeria's arrival as the sun slowly peeked above the horizon. The sun had most of my attention since it was almost time to begin. I jumped into the air with a trill to start my routine. I was glad that my wing had fully recovered. It had healed beautifully and I couldn't tell that it had ever been injured. I looped and whirled through the air while I joyfully greeted the sun.

Once the song ended, I banked and headed over to land on the arm of Taureen's patio chair. Aeria was sitting in a second chair a courteous distance away and was watching me with bright, excited eyes. A close-up seat at my display had obviously made her morning.

Taureen offered me a piece of fruit, and I took it and nibbled on it. I could easily fit each tiny piece in my mouth, but I saw no point in not savoring my food. Aeria shifted her chair closer and reached for the fruit bowl. Taureen pointed to a piece of red fruit. "She really likes this one."

Aeria took that one and held it out to me. I examined her face carefully before slowly reaching out to gently take it from her. A smile lit up her face. I blinked as realization struck me; bond animals usually refused to have anything to do with those who were not their handlers. She knew from Taureen's past comments that I had never tolerated someone else before.

Taureen fed me a few more pieces while she watched. She took another piece and held it beside the arm of her chair before softly calling, "Come here."

I gave her a hard look. I still had a grudge against commands and only listened to Taureen to humor him. I wasn't sure if I was ready to add a second person to the list of those I listened to. Her soft coaxing was not like Soranto or Tkael's commands of authority. That difference might just make it tolerable.

I glanced up at Taureen. He nodded and spoke softly, "Go on." The familiar command and hope in his eyes prompted a big sigh of resignation before I jumped from his lap to the arm of her chair to delicately take the fruit from her hand. The things I do for him...

She started feeding me more of the fruit. With numerous glances at Taureen, and with his encouragement, I was eventually sitting in her lap as she used pieces of fruit to lure me over one step at a time. She gently stroked my neck and back as I nibbled on yet another piece of fruit.

Her face was entranced as she fed me. At this point, I was beginning to wonder if she came here this morning to see Taureen or get a close up look at a fire-lizard. Eventually, the bowl was empty, and I shook out my wings while watching Taureen bring out the kit with the cleaning supplies.

He glanced at Aeria. "She loves being groomed, would you wish to try?"

Aeria's eyes lit up as she nodded. "You will have to guide me," she said. "I am not sure what has to be done."

He passed her the small scrub brush. "Run this over her scales. Yes, just like that. See how the scales shine? We want that kind of shine in every groove where her scales overlap."

I slowly lay down in her lap as she buffed my scales, still unable to really relax with this stranger. Taureen spoke softly, "Now that she has lain down, you can gently unfold her wings to clean them well. You will have to be gentle with her wings."

Aeria carefully pulled my wings open, and I let her. I kept a watchful eye on her as she gently buffed the scales. Just because I am humoring and helping Taureen does not mean that I trust her just yet.

Taureen handed her the soft cloth. "Wipe her scales down with this to get any dust or debris off."

Once she was done, he handed her the little vial of oil that I watched in anticipation. "Put a few drops on your fingers and rub it into her scales. Work it into the scale joints; it hydrates her skin and relieves any itching."

I slowly lowered my head as my eyes glazed over under her ministrations. She must have had training in massage. I slowly relaxed as she massaged the oil in with Taureen's advice. My neck was stretched to the side along her leg as my wings were draped across her lap like a small jeweled blanket. Hard to remain slightly suspicious when I am half asleep.

I barely stirred even when she delicately rubbed the oil between my toes, but that was normal when I was getting an oil massage. She finished and just stroked my neck while I slowly came back to my senses. I yawned before slowly getting to my feet.

I shook myself vigorously, and Aeria made a soft exclamation of surprise when my scales tinkled. "I didn't know their scales could make that noise. That was almost musical."

Taureen quietly responded, "We weren't aware at first either. Tasha often surprises us since we can't observe the wild ones easily."

Aeria nodded in understanding. I got to my feet and spread my wings before slowly taking to the air. As nice as she had been, she was still a Kymari, and I was only really at ease with Taureen. The morning had helped me relax some around her, but deep down, I had reached my time limit with this stranger, which was triggering instincts that wanted some space.

I landed on a large rock in the garden and spread my wings to sunbathe in the sun's growing heat.

"Can I come by again tomorrow morning?" There was no mistaking that she had enjoyed herself.

"Certainly. You are always welcome here, Aeria."

Taureen escorted her through the house to the front door while I drowsed lightly in the sun. We had some time before we had to go to work.