03

It took more self control than I imagined to not immediately call V back demanding answers. I calm myself and ultimately end up feeling apprehensive; I don't want to meet with (y/n) if only to prove something to my father, especially since I'm not even quite sure what I am trying to prove. A part of me is desperate for something refreshing though, something to stop the calculations and surefire equations that have made up my life for seemingly so long. When I arrive home I know I need to return to the office as of yesterday. The notifications from Jaehee's emails are a long line on the screen of my phone.

I take a deep breath. I decide to call V for no more than ten minutes, then take a shower and call Driver Kim to take me to the office. I click V's contact on the screen and wait as the dial tone rings. It continues to drone on until I'm met by the electronic sound of his voicemail box, which is of course full. I roll my eyes as Elizabeth pads her way over onto my lap, rubbing her face against my hand asking to be pet. I happily comply, her soft fur a comforting feeling. I end up just sitting on the couch for ten minutes gently stroking Elizabeth before reluctantly picking her up off of me and getting into the shower. Once I get out I again try to brush through my hair but as much as I comb it down I know by the time I'm sitting at my desk it'll be curling out on the ends. I sigh and get dressed, staring at my drawer of infinite ties for longer than I would like to admit before I just pick a random one and go, picking up my briefcase and going outside where Kim was already waiting for me.

When I get to the office it's silent. The only sound is the muted shuffling of papers and a foot tapping from Assistant Kang's office. I approach the room and notice the shiny plaque adorning the heavy wooden door with her name on it; it is permanently affixed to it since she has already been with me for almost three years. Before Jaehee my longest assistant had been with me for less than six months.

"Mr. Han!" She exclaimed when I poked my head in the doorway.

"Hello, Assistant Kang," I greeted her. She was surrounded by papers and a couple of empty mugs, as well as an array of pens, pencils, and other stationary.

"Why are you here? I know I've been asking you to come to the office but I thought you were on holiday with your father?"

"I was," I answered. "But now I'm here."

Her expression went flat and I knew I wasn't giving her the answer she wanted, which was slightly amusing.

"Anyways," she sighed, gathering herself. She went on about how many deals and documents needed my review and approval, and how I should have been here but she understands I was with my father, but I still should have been here, and that our partners are coming after her in order to get in contact with me, and the cherry farm needs me to resubmit the contract...

She went on for so long I decided to take a seat in front of her desk, my legs beginning to ache beneath me. Once she finished she gave me a long stare, as if she was quite literally trying to see straight through me.

"Something is wrong with you," she said, almost leaning across her desk to get a better look at me.

"Thanks," I chuckled. "I only spent one night with my father but it was a very long one. He never ceases to amaze me with just how far he can cross the line and insist that he has never done such a thing."

She frowned, leaning back in her chair as she took the last sip of coffee from one of the mugs on her desk.

"You work very hard, Mr. Han. I always feel exhausted from how hard I work but I know you're doing probably twice as much without breaking as sweat. It may not be my place to say this, but do not let anyone, even your father, take that away from you."