05

A full week passes without any contact from (y/n). It's a nagging thought in my mind, itching to come forward now and then. I know I'm perfectly capable of tapping her name on the screen of my phone and hearing her voice, but my stubbornness forces me to wait for her to make the next move. It isn't until after the New Year while I'm sitting in my office at nearly eleven o'clock at night, Jaehee running down the very long to-do list for the upcoming week that (y/n) flashes across my phone. I immediately answer, barely mouthing a sorry to Jaehee as I exit my office.

"Hello," I answer, suddenly clamming up.

"Jumin?" She replies. "It's (y/n)."

"I know. Sorry, I was doing some work just now."

"Oh, do you want me to call back? If you're busy I-"

"No," I interrupt. "How are you? Is everything okay?"

"What?" She laughs. "I'm fine, I just finished my work for today and I was going to ask if you wanted to meet up for something to eat. I know it's late but I figured you work as late as I do, you know?"

"Oh," I'm a little thrown off that she was thinking of me, feeling flustered as I try to answer. "I'd love to. I need to finish up a couple things then we can meet up somewhere. What restaurant is still open this late?"

"I'll message you the address. The place has really good drinks, and the food is pretty good too. Twenty minutes sound good?"

"Twenty minutes. Perfect," I smile. "I'll see you then."

"See you then." She hangs up and Jaehee is tapping her foot behind me, her neck and ears red with anger. I give her a blank expression, as if I had been on a business call and not just clearly making dinner plans to ditch her.

"I mean no disrespect, Mr. Han, but there really is a lot we have to go over and twenty minutes will not be enough time. I urge you to call whoever that was and reschedule."

"I'll come in early and stay late tomorrow," I reply flatly. Her expression says yeah, right, but she reluctantly gathers her things when we reenter my office, lingering in the doorway for a moment while I send a text to Driver Kim.

"Mr. Han," she says. "It's odd to see you drop everything for a woman. I hope she's worth it."

"Me too," I give her a polite smile, a little aggravated that she's prodding. She stays in the doorway, looking at her feet.

"I'm coming from a place of concern, Mr. Han," she continues. "You haven't been in a relationship as long as I've known you, and I am aware of how many women have treated you in the past. I know you know this, but please be on your guard. It would be foolish to put the company at stake for a woman as your father has."

"Assistant Kang," I say, my voice strong. "Your concerns are valid but I am very capable of handling my own relationships. Don't waste your time worrying about me."

She nods and we leave at the same time, a quiet ride down on the elevator. She waves goodbye and I stand by to make sure she leaves safely; I find Kim shortly after and tell him the address, hoping that my work suit is appropriate for where we're meeting. I brush my hair through with my fingers, feeling the ends sticking out reluctantly. Once we arrive I tell Kim to stick around until I call him, promising overtime for his effort. He nods and tells me to enjoy myself, a strange smile on his lips as he drives off.

The restaurant before me is brightly lit, but it's grandeur betrays the inside, where it's nearly empty. I call (y/n) and hear a phone ringing from inside the dining area; she pops her head up and scans the building with her eyes, smiling when her stare meets mine. I put my phone away and go to her, sitting down across the table.