09

The days pass, light grey and drizzly. Thursday arrives though, clouds having made way for the sun to gently kiss through my windows, waking me up before my alarm. It's a calm morning, brewing coffee and changing shirts twice before even calling Kim.

I hadn't spoken to (y/n) since the day after we'd picked her dress; she'd put herself into complete isolation, saying she needed to be completely free from distraction until her gallery. I chalked it up to a bizarre albeit charming 'artist' thing and let her be, preparing myself to be seen with her in public. Our day out hadn't gone unnoticed though; plenty of articles had sprung up with photos of her and I in a heap on the boutique floor, courtesy of the snake-like attendant I'd failed to notice during our breakdown. Jaehee insisted on making some sort of statement but I decided any publicity was good publicity and if anything, the rumors would draw more people to her show.

I walk into the office a bit after nine, a quiet atmosphere making me breathe easy. There's hardly any paperwork waiting for me at my desk when I sit down, and before Jaehee enters I'm almost suspicious of how smooth today seems to be going.

"Good morning, Mr. Han," she walks in, closing the door behind her. "You seem to be in a good mood today."

"What makes you say that?"

"You have a look about you," she smirks the tiniest bit. "Are you ready for (y/n)'s gallery tonight? It seems like it's going to be a very high-profile event."

"It does, doesn't it? I knew she was very well-known since she's done shows internationally, but it's hard to imagine just how many people will be there." I glance down at my phone and see a text message, shifting it away from me for the moment.

"It's you and (y/n)'s first official appearance, you know," She adds quietly, looking down.

"I know. It's going to be good." I smile to myself for a moment; (y/n) convinced me to match my suit to her dress, and as much as I may have protested I secretly couldn't wait to be seen with her.

"Now I know the world has turned upside down. Jumin Han is blushing to himself over his girlfriend," Jaehee scoffs, rolling her eyes as she lets herself out. "Don't forget you have a conference call at eleven today. I know you're on cloud nine but there is still some work to do."

I nod, slightly embarrassed as she leaves. I look back down at my phone and see the text is from my father, which is unusual because if he needed something from me he would simply come to the office, or just pass the message on through Jaehee. It's short and simple: Please call me when you can. It's an ominous and anxiety inducing message, my fingers shaking a bit as I clicked call. I'm brought to his voicemail, my heart dropping into my stomach as I sat there quietly before hanging up. Every nerve tells me to go to his house, to make sure he's okay, but I decide to stay put and wait for him to return my call.

The conference call is long and boring, most of it spent on mute as everybody else droned on about company initiatives and a change in hiring policies, and what colors are suitable to wear when meeting new clients. Once the call is over I'm left in limbo; I could go home and get ready for the gallery then wait six hours, or I could wait for my father's call here. As I'm pouring myself a cup of coffee my cell phone buzzes in my pocket.

"Father," I answer, heart stopped in my chest. "Is everything okay?"

"Jumin? Yes, everything's fine. Did you think something was wrong?" My father's voice on the other line is business as usual, the adrenaline slowly but surely leaving my body, relief replacing it.

"It's unusual for you to ask me to call you without an explanation. I guess I expected the worst."

"We're okay, son," I hear a woman's voice in the background, with some muted electronic buzzing and beeping. "Katy and I were out and she slipped on some ice and hurt her ankle. The doctor is still examining the X-rays, but she's in good spirits."