Chapter 18

Owen and Claire stopped walking as they heard the sound of an engine driving through the dense jungle. Claire looked around while Owen lifted his gun. They both looked to each other and began to run towards the direction of the sound. They came up to the room that the kids had just been in, Owen noticed one of the jeep were missing.

     Claire caught up to him breathing heavily. Owen walked in further, he picked up a grey jumper off of the ground, looking back up to Claire. "This one of theirs?"

     "Yeah." She breathed out. Owen stood back up and moved towards the other jeep. Claire turned around and looked out towards the trees, noticing tire marks on the ground where the jeep had driven over it. "That road goes straight back to the park." She breathed heavily while Owen turned the keys of the other jeep.

     "How did they even get one of these things started?" He pushed a few vines out of the way and walked over to one of the shelves. He moved a few things around, looking for something. He lifted up some cables and turned back around. He stared at the hood of the jeep before putting the cables down, walking over to the hood.

     He unhook the sides and lifted the hood of the jeep up. They heard something move outside, Claire let out as gasp as they crouched down. Owen stared out towards the trees. Claire moved over, holding onto Owen as she stood behind him. They heard moment again and hid behind the front of the jeep. The thudding outside getting closer.

     Owen looked over the side of the jeep, trying to see his gun that was leaning against the side of the jeep. He crawled slowly before he noticed the white-clawed foot and he moved back to hide behind the jeep. Owen breathed deeply as he looked over to Claire, she looked back at him. He raised an eyebrow at her while the Indominous Rex moved in closer to the room, sniffing.

     Owen and Claire stayed still while the Indominous Rex looked into the room, trying to find the two of them with her beady eye. She huffed and began to move the jeep with her nuzzle, both Owen and Claire tensed up. Both of them closed their eyes. Claire looked away, her eyes tightly shut as her lips quivered in fear. She could feel her heart beat thumbing faster and faster, her blood flowing through her veins.

     The Indominous Rex moved back, letting out a small roar. Owen was quick to move to grab his gun again. Moving cautiously, glancing back to the entrance to make sure the Indominous Rex didn't come back. He sat back next to Claire who continued to breathe heavily. Owen looked over at her, the gun in his hand before he nodded slightly. Claire let out a deep breathe, as did Owen.

     Owen couldn't help but think to Marlo. If they hand gotten there just ten seconds quicker they would have found the kids. Owen wouldn't have worried about whether his little sister was still okay, that she was safe. He wouldn't have worried if Zach and Gray were also still okay. If they had just gotten there ten seconds beforehand then they would have all been reunited. Owen wouldn't be so worried about Marlo because he would have been there with her to make sure she wasn't alone during this. He was sure that she was already terrified as it is. No matter how strong she tried to make herself look.

     But then again, if Marlo and the boys were just ten seconds slower, they would have been in the same situation as Claire and himself. He didn't know which was worse. Not knowing if Marlo was okay, or knowing that she was cornered by the Indominous Rex that she didn't even know existed.

     Owen was brought out of his mind when the side of the building was crushed inwards. The Indominous Rex slammed her leg down into the ceiling of the building, Owen and Claire moved away quickly as the Indominous Rex roared into the hole loudly. Claire's ran out of the room, Owen followed before the jeep slammed into the wall behind him. If he hadn't gotten up when he did he would have been crushed.