Chapter 26

Claire continued to run, bringing the walkie talkie up to her mouth. "Lowery, are you still there?" Lowery picked up his ear piece immediately.

     "Hey, where are you?" He yelled back at her, looking over the screens on his desk.

     "I need you to open Paddock 9." Claire continued to run. Lowery moved across to another desk, tapping on his screen, getting it ready.

     "Paddock 9? You kidding?" He looked up to the main screen.

     Claire stopped just out side of Paddock 9. Breathing heavily, holding the flare in her hand. She heard the Indominous Rex in the distance, roaring out, she lifted the walkie talkie back up to her lips. "Damn it, Lowery, be a man and do something for once in your life." She looked up at the camera, knowing that Lowery was looking at her through it.

     "Why do you have to make it personal?" He whispered out. He stood up, not looking away from the screen, Claire still staring at the camera. She threw away the walkie-talkie. Lowery bit his lip as he pressed enter on the control pad. The alarm started to go off as he looked back up at the screen.

     Claire stood there breathing deeply, she prayed that she didn't screw this up, she lit the flare and stared at the paddock door as the alarms rang out. Smoke was coming out of the walls, the alarm flashed red as the metal door soon began to rise.

     Claire felt a drop in the temperature as her heart rate increased with fear, she had to do this, she had to be brave. The flare in her right hand hissed as the red light sizzled from it. Claire watched in anticipation as the gate rose.

     Claire's frame was tiny compared to the opening gate, she stepped back a few steps and held her breath, her body became stiff. The loud thumps began to shake the earth and the T-Rex began to make its way towards its exit. Its body came to view out of the tree line with its eyes glowing clearly, its jaw were slightly open as it eyed Claire closely.

     The flame from the flare sent a white smoke in front of Claire.

     Its jaw shut as it continued to edge closer at a slow steady pace towards the young red head who opened her mouth to finally breath in and out, her lungs had held in a breath that she forgot she held.

     She stepped backward and her heart hammered. She moved the flare backward as the T-Rex poked its head out from the gate entrance and opened it's jaws slightly, smoke from its nose came out as it breathed warm air into the cold night.

     Claire turned away from the T-Rex and began to run, she ran as her life depended on it, she needed this to work. Claire's soft jog broke out into a sprint as the T-Rex sped up as well, it opened its jaws and let out a bone-shaking roar, which could be heard for miles, she just prayed that she would make it in time. This was it. This was the final battle. They had to win.

-

     Meanwhile Owen, Zach, Gray, and Marlo took refuge in a small shack, the Indominous Rex zoned in on them and reached its long clawed arm inside and caught hold of Grays pack around his waist and began to drag him towards it.

     Gray's eyes grew along with his fear, Zach and Owen hand a tight hold on him and tried to pull him back. Silent tears ran down his face as Zach gripped his hands and Owen placed a heavy arm in front of him which stopped him from leaving them. A small squeal left his throat as he struggled against the claw.

     Marlo was in the corner of the shack and watched in horror as tears ran down her face from both the physical pain she was enduring the the emotional pain she left. She was meant to look after the two boys and keep them safe no matter how short of a time it was meant to last for.

     For Marlo that time never had a limit. So, now, watching helplessly from the corner of the shack made her feel like she had failed not only Claire, not only Zach and Gray, nor Owen, but herself. She failed herself and it was eating away at her.

     Zach had heavy breaths and looked from the arm to the claw of the hybrid and noticed it snagged the pack. The hybrid struggled to pull Gray out and Zach reached forward and tried to unlock the belt in order to prevent Gray from becoming dinosaur food.

     Once he successfully unclipped it, the hybrid pulled its arm out and roared. Marlo tried to move without causing herself any more pain but it didn't work, she let out a painful cry and she crawled her way to the others. Zach quickly looked over to her before glancing back to Gray.

     Once she crawled over to Zach, he looked over to her fully, her face was stained with tears and blood. She got as close as she could and placed her head on his shoulder and breathed out a jagged breath, Zach slowly wrapped his right arm around her shoulder and wrapped his left arm around her front.

     She moved her head slightly on his shoulder and he ran his left hand down her arm until they reached her hand, he grabbed hold of her cold one and held it in his warm one. He kissed her forehead and rested his head gently on hers.

-

     Claire slammed her feet against the ground as she ran with a deadly beast behind her, it was a shock that her heels didn't snap from the pressure she had forced upon them. Her breathing became painful and she breathed deeply in and out through her mouth as she rounded the centre of the park.

     The T-Rex was still on her heels, Claire managed to throw the flare at the hybrid which caught the attention of the abomination, she ran for cover when the T-Rex burst through the skeletal replica and the hybrid roared.

     The T-Rex had let out an ear piercing shriek to which the hybrid returned. They faced each other and snapped their jaws. Claire looked up to see she was beneath the T-Rex as she waited in anticipation. She looked across to see Owen watching her with a worried glance before he stepped back to watch to two beasts.

     Owen stepped back and Gray stood next to him as he watched the prehistoric queen of the land and the wrongly made science experiment. Zach had helped Marlo to her feet and kept a tight hold on her and she limped behind the two others. Owen placed a hand in front of Gray and pulled him back.

     The T-Rex launched forward with a cry, its jaws wide open as it rounded on the hybrid. Its jaws clamped down around its neck and began to throw its head around trying to snap the others neck.

     Claire started to get up but stayed down as the tail of the T-Rex swung over her slamming into a pole creating sparks. The hybrid swung its head and bit the T-Rex's neck causing it to let go and reattach once more before the hybrid got out and began to slam its claws down onto the other as they walked backward.

     The T-Rex let out a shattered roar as it went down to the ground, sparks flew around them as wires snapped and broke. Claire was so close to them that she began to crawl away as quickly as she could.

     She got behind a fake rock and watched, her breathing was definitely in short quick releases, the hybrid latched onto the T-Rex and edged it towards the shack. Owen grabbed hold of Gray and Zach, who still had Marlo, and pulled them towards the side with a massive gapping whole as the two larger creatures continued to fight. He turned back once they moved and caught sight of Claire who opened her mouth and screamed.

     Her voice was hoarse and painful, "Run!"

     Owen looked up in shock. "Go! Go!" He yelled out to the three teenagers, Owen grabbed Marlo from Zach and picked her up as the other two ran underneath the dinosaurs quickly.

     Marlo was barely able to register what was happening as time slowed down. The shack they were once in was crushed but the weight of the hybrid slamming down the T-Rex on top of it. The four made their way over to Claire who watched as Owen carefully placed Marlo down who let out a painful groan.

     Zach looked at her and watched her tear stained face stare at her brother in pain. "Don't you dare die on me, that wasn't our deal! I told you that you could live with me as long as you didn't die!" Owen spoke to her and his voice broke slightly, he pulled Marlo closer to him and looked at Zach then back down to Marlo. "Don't you die on us," Owen whispered to her.