Chapter 15 - choice

I don't know about this.
I really don't.
I've been in Arlen for over four months now, and it still doesn't feel like I'd belong into here. I miss Hyrule. I miss my home so much. Don't get me wrong. What comes to Link, I'd never leave his side. I've gotten to know him so well and I'm the happiest while with him. The servants and soldiers of Arlen also all know me. Not as a ruler, but rather as a 'friend' of the Prince. But I'm fine with that.

I was at the kitchen baking some berliners. I love berliners, and so do Ganondorf and Link. I have teached them to. I laughed silently while I sprinkled some frosty topping on the top of the pastries. I grabbed the silver tray that was filled with beautiful carvings and left the kitchens. I walked through the long dining hall to the living room where Link and Ganondorf waited and played chess.

"Checkmate." Ganondorf said while holding his fingers crossed in front of his mouth.

Link sighed. "Again?"

"You need to think harder, your excellency." Ganondorf laughed.

Link snorted and turned to look at me. "Ah, Zelda. Where have you been?"

I put the tray down to the little table that was standing in front of the two gentlemen. "I baked some berliners. Since you two like them so much." I smiled and also sat down into a green armchair myself.

Ganondorf grabbed several pastries right away and stuffed them all into his mouth at once. "Zelda, do you now understand, why I always call you lovely?" He said ambiguously mouth full of pastries.

"Manners!" Link hissed. "Anyways. Ganondorf, can you go now?"

Ganondorf looked at Link for a while as his forehead puckered up. Then he smiled. "Of course, your majesty. I will be waiting in my office, if you need anything."

Link nodded.

I looked at him as he inhaled and then exhaled heavily. "Zelda." He said.

Great, what have I done this time? I hate when people speak with that tone to me. "What is it?" I asked confused and nervous.

"You know how it is.. I'm not very good with my words, but, you've been living here with me, for quite a while now, and, each day that we spend together, I learn something new about you. I don't want to let you go."
I tried to look at him into his beautiful blue eyes, but it was impossible because he was looking at his shoes. I watched as his hands started to tremble. When he does that, he's about to confess something, I've learned that. He stood up from his armchair and lightly shook his arms and legs.

He walked in front of me and knelt down. "Zelda, my beautiful Zelda, will you marry me and become the ruler of this land with me?" He asked and looked at me.

I stood up at the speed of light, and looked at him back covering my mouth with my hands. A tear fell down my cheek. I couldn't say anything.

Link was silent for a moment too. "I am giving you the option right here. Normally, if asked such a question and the answer is no.. She would be executed. But how could I ever do such a thing to you? If you do not accept my feelings, that is fine. Totally fine." He sighed and stood up. "I will give you some time to think about this." He smiled gently.

I nodded while still in disbelief. I tried to say something but I couldn't. I watched as Link took one berliner from the silver tray and left the room. Silence fell to the dark room, only I alone stood there watching to the direction Link went.

Later that evening I was sitting on our bed. Link was reading under the blanket of his side of the bed. "Zelda, dear, you have the option here. Think about it. Most princesses or to-be princesses do not even get the chance to choose. I am not forcing you to marry me." Like he knew what I was thinking about he smiled to me.

I turned my head to look at him over my shoulder. "I know." I said and sighed. "But I'm not a princess. I'm not royalty, so naturally I would have the option anyways." I then snapped trying to sound mad.

Link sighed and lowered the book. "Why do you always have to bring the not royalty topic up?" He asked.

"Because I bring up the topic that I want to." I smiled evily.

Link smirked. "By the way, just so you know, if you choose to be with me, the couple is told to tell two promises to the people of the kingdom, one from you and one from me, in this case."

I turned to face him. "What kind of promises?" I asked curious.

"I don't know. How to improve the kingdom or something like that."

This kingdom is already doomed, what kind of 'promises' would help improve this place anyway? "Well, what kind of promise would you make?"

Link shrugged. "I haven't tought about that."

Great, now how am I supposed to know what kind of promise would I make? I sighed. I stood up and walked over to the windows and pulled the dark blue curtains shut and then walked back over to the bed and went under the blanket next to Link.

"You're going to sleep already?" Link asked as he turned the pages of his book quickly.

"No." I started. "Or maybe yes." I continued. "I am thinking."

"Still?" Link asked and looked at me. "Zelda, it is not that big of a decision. Is it?" He 'petted' my hair.

"It is for me." I snapped and tried to push his hand away but he didn't stop.

He laughed a bit. "Good night love."

I tried to be mad but I couldn't, I smiled. I had finally found happiness again.

-----------------

Oh my. It's been quite a while since i last posted, im truly sorry about that. I have chapters written ready for you Hylians though, stay tuned for that. The story is kinda getting to the main part right now. ;)

Ps. It's beginning to look alot like christmas!
time really does fly.