Chapter 2 - "Tell these mammoths to let go of me!"

By the time Louie and Teresa arrived back at the Med Wing, it seemed a full riot had broken out. In the center of the area, two nurses and three guards where struggling with someone, trying to calm them and get them back into bed. Teresa saw the struggle and scrambled to help the other nurses. Louie kept her pace and by the time she reached the hospital bed, the leader of the newcomers was back in his bed, held down by two very large guards.

"Let go of me!"

The leader apparently refused to give up trying, even though he had no chance of getting free.

Louie stepped up to his bed and took a minute to check his chart. Giving him time to settle down and realize she was the one he had asked for.

"Hey! You gotta let me go! Tell these mammoths to let go of me!" He tried again to wiggle free, but to no avail.

Louie didn't respond and looked over his chart one more time. By the time she had mindlessly scanned his paperwork a third time, it seemed all energy had drained out of him. When Louie looked up, his head was resting against his pillows and his shoulders were slumped.

Louie nodded to the three guards, who then released their grip on the man's shoulders. Louie turned as they left and said a quiet thank you. The leader saw an opening. When Louie turned back, he had sat back up in his bed and was once again attempting to grab his shoes and make a run for the gates.

Louie quickly and deftly struck right at the base of his head at the top of his neck, and sent him crumpling to the floor. The blow wiped him out for good. He lay on the floor for a moment, breathing hard. While he recovered himself Louie surveyed the other occupants of the Med Wing, her arms behind her, her back straight.

After a few moments, the young man finally pushed himself up and sat back down on his bed. Louie stared at him intently, waiting for him regain enough strength so they could engage in an actual conversation.

Louie broke the silence first, once the man had sat up straight and stared back at her.

"I hope we understand each other now."

She gave him a quick, small smile. If he had blinked at the wrong moment, he might have missed it entirely.

The leader smirked and looked off to the side. Louie stayed determined to keep this conversation professional and informative. She was fine letting this man and his group come and stay in the Compound, but not until she had a real sense of who these people were.

"I would suggest you stay in bed for several days. Any attempt to escape again will be met with similar, if not more, hostility. Plus, it would be bad for your health. You've sustained a horrible concussion, four broken ribs, and near starvation. Your body is unable to handle much at this time."

The leader refused to speak. He just stared at Louie, looking her up and down, trying to get a read on her. Louie prided her self on her poker face and put into play now.

"Now, I believe you were asking for me," Louie said.

The comment threw the leader a bit.

"I asked for the man in charge."

"I can see your concussion must have made you rather confused. I am the man in charge. I happen to be a woman, but that doesn't change my role. Now, what did you want?"

The leader took a second to gather his wits. Louie was sure he would have been much more suave without a concussion and so allowed the awkward silence that fell between them.

"Information." He finally responded.

"Good. So do I." Louie said.

She remained where she was, arms clasped behind her, face tight, shoulders straight. She did not budge or give any indication of speaking next. This wasn't her first interrogation. The leader started to stir in his bed when she didn't talk.