Chapter 17 - "Alright then, lets go."

Louie woke to the feel of someone tugging on her arm. Rolling over, she found Peyton looking at her. He nodded his head.

"Come on, its time to go," he said, softly.

Louie gave a bleary nod. She swung her legs out of the bunk as Peyton landed noiselessly back on the floor. The Compound was asleep, the lights still low. Louie quickly pulled on her boots. The sounds of heavy breathing, rustling sheets and the faint coughing floated around her. As she left the Cage she twisted her hair up into a tight bun, her boots tapping out her exit on the hard concrete floor.

At Security Louie found a group had formed, Chief walking in the midst of it. Marc was talking to Dax, one hand on his son's shoulder, the other pointing at him, giving the final orders. Louie passed them and heard Marc's deep voice say, "Watch out for her."

Jonas was rocking on the balls of his feet, his lean agile body restless with energy. Peyton talked with Luther, their heights and build similar, though Luther's light skin and blonde hair contrasted with Peyton's tan skin and dark hair. Trevor stood silently off to the side, his eyes never resting on a single thing, his tall, narrow frame as straight as an arrow's.

Chief approached Louie, his lips smiling but his eyes holding the worry she knew he would never speak. He gently placed two, strong, wrinkled hands on her shoulders, taking her in. He seemed to note every feature as if to make a mental image that would never fade.

"I'm proud of you Elouise. I know that you have to do this and so I will say nothing more, except good luck and be safe," Chief said.

"I will. I'll come back, that is a promise."

Chief could only nod, the tightness in his lips speaking volumes of his love and concern. He hugged her, whispering softly to her.

"I love you Elouise."

"I love you too."

They broke apart and Louie straightened, tightening her shoulders, pushing away the weakness that she felt inching into her throat. Marc stepped forward, giving Louie a rare smile.

"Be safe. Watch your back out there. And keep an eye on Dax for me," Marc said.

Louie gave a curt nod and a tiny smile.

"Of course I will."

Peyton left his conversation with Luther and stepped to the front of the group.

"We need to be heading out. It's a long day a head of us and I don't want to waste more time. Grab your packs and we'll get started," Peyton said.

Louie strapped on her knife holsters and lifted her rifle over her head. As she straightened, Marc handed her a large pack. She slipped it on to her shoulders, before looking back to Chief.

"Take care of yourself," Louie said.

He nodded and gave one more smile.

"I will as long as you come home."

"I promise."

Louie turned away, knowing that her resolve would crack if she waited any longer. Peyton hoisted his pack on to his shoulders, looking at his team.

"Are you ready?"

There was a murmur of assent and Peyton looked to Chief and Marc.

"Thank you."

Chief and Marc nodded once, then watched as the group headed towards the gates. Louie's heart started to pound fiercely in her chest as the doors were hauled open. The chain grated against the metal as the world was exposed. Louie didn't look back as she stepped out into the early morning, and felt the chilly air of the late autumn breeze brush across her face.