Chapter 18 - "It surprised me, that's all."

They followed the river for as long as they could, sticking to the forests and outskirts of cities. As they travelled Louie felt the weight of all the usual pressure, which sat heavy on her overburdened shoulders, fall away with each mile. The group became more accustomed to the terrain and their progress quickened.

With each new day the group found a rhythm that they fell into. As they moved their focus was held completely by their surroundings and their heightened awareness of dangers and sounds. As they ate they began to know each other more.

Their conversations ranged from childhood struggles to life as adults. Though each shared parts of themselves, the stories that they all wanted to hear the most were the ones Peyton told. His adventures overshadowed the mundane existence of living in the Compound. His voice filled the night sky like the sparks from the fire, his words just as captivating. And every night ended the same, Louie taking the first watch with Peyton's company.

In the darkness of the night Louie slowly began to share what she usually withheld from the others. Each night with the fire before them, they talked. Louie came to know difference in Peyton's tone as he talked about his family compared to when he talked about life in the Outside. The way he smiled easily over stories he had told over and over again. The way he didn't meet Louie's eyes when he talked about the struggles in his past and the situations he had been through.

In turn Peyton began to know Louie, how she could never stand to start a conversation. But she  would answer his questions and would open up the more they talked. The way her face held a quiet pride as she talked about her father. The way her face fell when ever talk of the Compound's ups and downs were mentioned. Each night they found their own rhythm, their glances becoming more frequent, their reservations slowly falling aside.

They were on their fifth day of travel and quickly approaching their destination when dark clouds rolled in. The sight of them was like the ocean's waves, tumbling over each other as they covered the sky. Peyton stopped, his gaze turning upward, as thunder echoed in the distance. They were in the center of what had once been a large city but now was more forest than buildings. The dilapidated ruins over run by vines. Trees crashed through windows and broke though floor boards. Peyton looked about, his eyes searching for something only he could see.

"Its not safe to travel in the storm," he said. "We'll have to wait it out. We'll split up into groups of two. What we're looking for is high ground with enough coverage to keep the rain out. Make sure the structure is secure before venturing inside. Fire a shot if you find anything and we'll meet back at this spot. Jonas and Luther, Trevor and Dax. Louie will come with me. Alright lets go."

The words had barely left his lips before the pairs broke apart. Peyton nodded further into the city. Louie followed, picking her way over the roots and upended chunks of pavement. They passed empty vehicles, that were rusted. Buildings sat pressed against each other, neighbors leaning on neighbors. Their sagging windows stared forlornly at Peyton and Louie as they passed by.

Louie's foot landed on something solid that gave away under her foot. The crunch rang in her ears as she pulled her foot back. She looked down and her breath caught at the sight. Though destroyed now, Louie could still make out the small row of teeth and the jaw that could be no bigger than a five year olds. She stared endlessly at the small crooked tooth in the front, unable to look away. There was a pressure on her hand and she looked up to find Peyton pulling her forward, his hand guiding her away.

"Come on," he said. "We have to keep moving."

Louie straightened her spine and tightened her shoulders, but the stance felt more forced than ever before. Peyton smiled, as he kept leading her further from the scene and into the city center. His hand dropped her's as she moved more confidently, though the sight of the skull still hovered before her vision.