Chapter 15 - "Yes, you have my permission to go."

Louie had barely taken a step out of the Cage before Ryland was in front of her.

"Hey Lou, you going to tell me what happened?"

Louie kept walking, letting Ryland hurry to keep pace with her.

"Rye, I think you should know by now that I am not a source and never will be. Everything you will need to know will be told to you in the Council meeting today."

Her hands were clasped behind her and she didn't look at him as she spoke. Ryland pivoted his body towards her, walking sideways.

"Come on Lou. People are dying to know what happened. Last night everyone is eating dinner and everything is fine. Then suddenly Marc bolts from his table followed by some of his guys. They come back half an hour later with two unconscious Searchers and one very battered looking Peyton."

"Sounds like you have everything you need Rye. Use that head of your's to put it together."

"So there was an attack?"

Louie paused at the entrance to the Med Wing, giving Ryland a blank look.

"I have patients waiting for me Rye. This is where I leave you."

Ryland took a step forward, raising his hand to block her path.

"Just blink once if it's a yes on the attack."

Louie stared at Ryland for a long moment not blinking, then pushed past his arm and entered the Med Wing. All the beds were empty except for the two Searchers and Peyton. Louie stepped over to Teresa, who stood at the end of one of the Searcher's bed, clip board in hand.

"How are they doing this morning?" Louie asked.

Teresa looked up from the chart, meeting Louie's gaze before she turned attention to the two sleeping men.

"Still stable. No infection. They haven't stirred, but that's for the best."

"Good, let me know if anything changes. How's Peyton?"

Teresa glanced over her shoulder.

"He could answer that question better than me."

Louie turned and saw Peyton swinging his legs off his bed, his face tightening with the movement. He didn't glance up as Louie walked over and stood before him, keeping his head down as he pulled on his boots.

"Peyton, you need to rest."

Peyton looked up briefly, but kept lacing his boots.

"No, I need to get out of the Med Wing. I'm..." he stood, clenching his fists, "fine. I don't plan to spend the day laying around. It's a couple cuts, nothing I haven't dealt with before."

Louie took a step, blocking his path, her shoulders rigid and face hard.

"Peyton as your nurse-"

Peyton didn't bother letting her finish her sentence.

"Look Louie, I get it. You think the best thing for me is to rest for a few days, but it's not going to happen. All that last night proved was your Compound isn't as prepared as it should be. That means training this morning with your Security team. I need to train them now so I can get back out there. Now, do I have your permission or not to leave?"

Peyton gave Louie an even look, waiting for her to respond. Louie's mouth was a thin line, but she nodded once.

"Yes, you have my permission to go."

She stepped aside allowing Peyton to pass her. He bowed his head at her and slipped out. Louie headed to the far end of the Med Wing, grabbed a Med bag and slung it over her shoulder.