On the Tenth Day of Christmas...

MEOW! I just started crying for no particular reason...

I discovered that you can use band-aids to make Elf ears!!!................. I'm just a *little* obsessed...

------------- - - - - -------------------

ANODIENPOV

My whole life, I'd been shunned, and now, suddenly, the void within my heart had been filled. I shivered in the cold, moving closer to Legolas.

"You're freezing..." He murmured, putting his cloak around me.

"Yes, I am, but so are you." I pulled it off and put it back on him.

"I don't want you falling ill, Anodien..."

"Nor do I want you to suffer for my sake. I have a cloak, I'll deal with it." The winds turned bitter cold, ice stinging my cheeks.

I exhaled, my breath turning to fog.

"Look! I'm Smaug!" I roared playfully, my breath turning to smoke in the cold wind. Legolas laughed merrily, the sound bright and happy. I sat down, chilled to my bones.

"I wish I was a real dragon, then I could literally breathe fire and make us warm." My eyes widened. "That's it! Fire!" I held out my palm. "I'll just conjure fire!"

"Don't overdo it, Anodien. You're still weak, and I don't want you getting hurt."

"I'm not weak." I protested indignantly, concentrating on the image of a warm fire. A small tongue of flame flickered in my hand before sizzling away.

"See? My point exactly. I told you so."

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Legolas? His name is shut up." I kept trying to bring the fire, but the biting wind broke my focus. I puffed and shuddered, wishing I'd sent us anywhere but here.

"Do you want to go back?" Legolas asked, concern shining in his eyes.

"Not really. I still have no idea how my father will react."

"Mine either." He admitted, running a hand through his hair. "He won't be pleased." I stiffened and drew away. Legolas seemed to realize his sudden mistake. "That- that's just how it's usually done in the Silvan court. I never- I mean-"

"Well, fine. Don't shirk your royal duties. If I can't be enough, then I'll just leave." I shot back sharply, tears welling up in my eyes.

"No, Anodien, that's not what I meant!" He protested, reaching out for me.

"Isn't it? What else could you have intended other than that exactly? It's tradition, Legolas, it's 'just how things are done'!" I had a snap impulse, and acted on it immediately.

"Menna Legolas ad, anna nín dinen ereb awarth!"

"Anodien, don't-!" Legolas wisped away into the wind, draining my energy completely and making me fall to the icy stone ground. My strength was spent, and my life force faded away into the darkness.

LEGOLASPOV

I landed on the rough stony ground of Rivendell, spitting gravel and snow out of my mouth. Where... Anodien! Where was Anodien? What happened? I strained to recall her last words to me...

"Menna Legolas ad, anna nín dinen ereb awarth!"

Send Legolas back, give me silent, isolated abandonment!

How could I have been so foolish? Anodien believed that I... oh, no... I'd blown out the flickering candle that had held our already unstable love.