Better Days Await

Chapter Nineteen: Better Days Await.

Halaat's POV.

I woke up and I am still in the hospital. I hoped it was just a bad dream but it was real. I have cancer and there is a possibility I might die. But I am trying my best not to imagine that, because Adam will be alone. And I won't leave him, I don't want to.

My mum and Ayat were sitting on the sofa, I called for my mum. She quickly rushed to me and hugged me. Ayat stood besides her eager to greet me.

"Assalam alaykum abnatay( my daughter)," she said and kissed me on my forehead.

"Walikum Salam Ummi," I replied.

"How are you feeling?" She asked concerned.

"Alhamdulliah good, Where is Adam?"

"He went for prayers, he'll be back don't worry," Ayat replied,"You are going to be okay." I smiled at Ayat. The doctor came in and greeted us. She asked how I was feeling while she did the check up.

"So what are my alternatives?" I asked.

"We can do chemotherapy or surgery, surgery is less threatening to the baby," she explained," Take your time you don't have to decide immediately." I remained silent, as I was thinking. I was stuck in my imagination. I didn't know what was best for me, I only know that I don't want to have cancer.

"Thank you Doctor," Ummi replied. The doctor left the room. My decision will only seem right, if Adam is by my side. My mother kept on asking me about whether I have chosen a name for the baby. I know what she's trying to do, she's trying to give me hope. It's somehow working, I suppose.

Later my in laws along with Adam came to see me. I noticed the tears that lingered in their eyes. Well at least I managed to hold mine in. I noticed Adam looking at me. He was smiling and not the sympathy type of smile. It's the smile that allures you. Alhamdulliah I have my family around me, I feel less worried. It feels nice be around the people I love. The doctor came in the room and everyone looked at her. Adam came and stood besides me.

"We can discuss more about the alternatives," She said in a low voice. I looked at Adam, he hugged me and I hug him back. I held Adam's hand and said...

"I want to go through with the surgery." If it meant the baby would survive, surgery is the best idea.

"That's good choice and it's less risky but we have to wait until you are four months pregnant to do the procedure," she explained.

"Okay," I replied. Everyone in the room remained silent, it was weird. My mother tried her best not to cry but it looks like I am her weakness. Every time she looks at me she tried to smile. My father in law made a dua for me, Jamila made me smile and Ayat made things seem like they're going to be just fine. As for Adam he gives me strength to believe better days are coming.

"You will be released tomorrow, I still  need to do a CT scan before you leave, and I will prescribe you some medication to reduce the back pains and any other physical pain. And I want you to try your best to eat because the baby needs to be strong and you too. I assure you everything will be okay," she said sincerely. She assures me my health back, I felt like I could trust her. After she left everyone felt a relief due to the news, me included.

Later everyone left, my mother decided she was staying. She'll stay with me. Adam left but I could see he didn't want to leave. I didn't want him to to leave either, but knowing Adam he'll be back in an hour. I was taken for my scans. The doctor who is treating me is really nice, her name is Mariam. She's kind, her aura is pleasing. Dr Mariam makes everything look okay. She promises my health, and I have trusted her.

After the scans I was taken back to my room with one of the nurses. Ummi worried as usual, she went to look for the doctor to ask her questions. I got into the room and I found Adam sitting on the chair, holding flowers and  balloons. I walked towards him and he stood up. He gave me the flowers and the balloons, I instantly smiled. He took my hand and made me wear my bracelet. The bracelet he gave me in Dubai, the bracelet that I will forever cherish.

"Don't forget..." he said while closing the bracelet on my wrist.

"I will never forget," I replied. How can I forget about his unconditional love. It seems impossible to forget. Adam grabbed my waist and pulled me close to him gently... What have I done now ?

"You know there is this girl, she's always in my heart," he said while looking at me.

"Hmm,"

"I just love her too much and I want all my actions to make her happy..."

"Adam you are you in love with someone else?" I asked almost in tears. Why am I being so emotional I know he's talking about me, I am the one in his arms. But even the thought of loosing Adam is heartbreaking to me. I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine.

"Halaat you've forgotten," he said while smirking.

"What?" I asked.

"For me there is only you," he said. The same statement he said in Dubai, while we were on the terrace, he said it the same way. I honestly am in love with Adam. He kissed me on the forehead and let me go. I rested on the bed, Adam set besides me. I started talking about the baby. Eventually I got tired and fall asleep.

The nurse woke me up and told me to eat. Adam has already left, he wasn't in the room. My mum was in the room, she started talking about baby names again. Ayat came by and brought me fruits, Hussein also came. I spent my day with my family.

The Next Day...
I am being discharged from the hospital today. Adam has already bought the medicines the doctor prescribed. I am going back to my in laws place, it was my mother in law suggested that I stay with her. It's a good idea since, I'll be close to the hospital. My mother also agreed to the idea she said she'll visit me time to time.

Adam drove and he started talking about work. We reached home and Adam lead me straight to the bedroom. I sat on the bed and tried to fall asleep. He slept next to me. I laid my head upon his chest, his heartbeat a tune that soothed my soul.