Pray

Chapter twenty three: Pray.

Adam's POV.

A girl was holding my hand earlier I wonder who she was. But she looked familiar. It felt like I knew her. My mother explained to me how I ended up in the hospital. I got in a car accident. But I don't seem to remember.

...

Halaat's POV.

After two months in the hospital, I am finally being discharged from the hospital today. And I haven't decided where I am going to live, with Ummi or my in laws place or our place. Our home, the home we were supposed to raise our child. But now it's just my home, I suppose. He doesn't even remember me.

I am going to see him today. I just need to see him. Ummi and Ayat are dealing with formalities at the reception. So I went to the room he was in and my mother in law, Jamila and the Doctor were also in the room. I entered the room and Jamila came towards me and welcomed me inside.

Adam starred at me like I was a stranger. I sat on the couch and tried not to cry. I starred at my hands and I didn't move.

"Adam do you know who she is?" my mother in law asked him.

"I don't know her Ummi," he replied.

"She's your wife Adam," Jamila replied abruptly and proud," Her name is Halaat."

"Halaat? But I haven't... When did I get married? I don't remember," he said confused.

"Adam you are suffering from traumatic amnesia. Memory loss caused by a severe hit to the head, your brain was injured due to the accident. And it caused a memory loss. Though your amnesia won't last for long, luckily the accident wasn't that severe. With time you will start to remember," the doctor explained.

My eyes still fixed at my shaking hands. I could feel Adam's stare, I decide to look at him. He raised his eyebrow, the facial expressions he always makes when his annoyed or confused. I stand up and walk towards him. I fall into his arms lay there for a while. I just needed to be in his arms, just a for a little while. I silently cry.

"I missed you," I say. Silence falls. Adam than put his hand on my shoulder.

"Halaat," he says my name unsure. I stood up and looked at him. "Why don't I remember you?" He asked.
I don't know why, I don't what to answer him. I look at him and smile. I walk away; towards the door and he says the most unexpected thing.

"Take care." I take a deep breath and walk out of the room. He's going to remember I  just know it. The doctor comes after me and advised me that to help with the memory. I should show him pictures and take him to places we have gone together. So it triggers the memory.

That means we have to live in our home. If he even will consider to live with a "stranger". I wonder when he will remember me.
I got to back to the room and my mum and Ayat, were there. They all looked at me and I could see they are ready to take me home. But I have to do the right thing. I have to stay with Adam even if he doesn't remember.

I am not giving up. I spoke to Ummi and explained to her that I need to stay with Adam so that he could remember. Ayat starred at me and didn't say a word, Ummi didn't know what to say. Ayat than helps me wear my Abya and shoes.

"You should let him adjust, his not gotten better. He is still unable to do much, so are you. Just come stay home Halaat just for a few days," Ayat explains.

"Ayat you don't understand, I need to be with him. He needs to remember me," I spoke.

"Halaat can you worry about your own health first,"

"Ayat, my health is okay. My husbands is not, he doesn't remember me. I need to be there for him," I explained.

"Fine. But promise me to call me after every four hours, and that you will take your medicines, you will have your bed rest and you will eat according to the diet plan," Ayat ordered.

"Every four hours?" I said and looked at her.

"Okay after every six hours. Promise me Hala," She said

"I promise ,"

I am going to be with Adam. Where I belong. Ummi and Ayat are all taking me to my house. Adam still has to stay in the hospital for a few days and than he gets discharged. He agreed to stay with me. Alhamdulliah.

I reach at my home and everything is where it should be. Just like the way I placed it. The view of the ocean still beautiful as ever, the wind singing to the oceans tune. Mashallah. I got to my room, our room. Where Adam and I used to sleep. I enter the room and slowly look around. All my clothes are still there, everything is untouched and okay.

I pass the room next to mine, I can't open the door. I don't have the strength and the guts to open the door. I walk pass the door and a tears gently fall form my eyes. My heart beat rising and hands shaking. I go down the stairs, unable to make it downstairs. I sit on the stairs; I couldn't walk no more. I feel weak and sad.

He choose the design for the baby's room. Now he doesn't even remember that we were going to be parents.

...

Ayat and Ummi stayed with me. Taking care of me like I was little child. Unable to do anything for myself. I prayed, each day I pray that he remembers. Anything, something. I still have hope. Miracles do happen. I cry sometimes sleeping in my room, so I sleep in the guest room with Ayat. It's better, I feel not so alone.

Adam finally came home after three days; of praying and waiting. He came home. He didn't look happy like he usually was when he came home. He looked confused. My mother in law came with him. Jamila also came.
I went to greet him, but he didn't smile. The same look he had on his face me when we first meet. The cold hard stares and no smile. That seem to slowly kill the insides of me. Just a face with no flaws and no emotions.

He showed himself to the bedroom and I found him asleep. It is the biggest room in the house. They decided to stay until Adam is awake.