Complete Collection 25-26

25: Eclipse

December 25; 5:00 PM

Petra picked Eren up the following day once the doctor released him with signed paperwork and everything. Levi and Eren said their goodbye's as Petra packed up the room and loaded Eren into her minivan.

The same car that took Eren home a million times. Brought destruction. Caused nightmares. Created happiness. But what could make joy in the tiny room Levi once shared with Eren? A year had passed, and what did anybody expect Eren to do? Lie around and pretend everything really could go on without a hitch? No. He had to fight.

Petra unstrapped his seatbelts.

Why couldn't Petra open the door, and Levi would be standing there to greet Eren? Levi wouldn't rest on the countertop, sipping a cup of tea, laughing at Eren's horrible jokes and kissing him at midnight. Levi wouldn't be there to wrap him up tight and make sure he would be okay before going to bed. Levi wouldn't be there to rest in the divot in Eren's neck. No more lavender scented hair, soft fingers running across his fingers when Eren got upset anymore. But Levi would come for him in a couple days. Maybe one or two. Not like Eren didn't just see him a day ago.

"Petra," Eren said. She glanced at him. "When you were dating Levi... Did you love him? At all?"

"No," she said, "not really. I saw him as a best friend, since we'd spent a good three years before just as friends. But we didn't break up on bad terms. He was the one to put up some resistance, actually."

"What do you mean?"

Petra took out his wheelchair from the trunk. "Well," she closed the back door with a thud, and helped Eren into the chair, "We both knew it wasn't going to work out. I think he knew first, but he never said anything. I'm surprised you guys have had this relationship work out for almost two years."

"Oh. Yeah. But he mentioned that his first relationship was with you, so I was just wondering."

"About?" Petra asked.

"He always tells me I'm awesome and great and all, but we've hardly had any fights. With... Everything going on right now. I just wish I could've been born normally, because maybe I'd be able to do more with him. This relationship we have wouldn't be based off of saving each other's asses, instead with a more... I don't know. Proportional relationship? Realistic love?"

"What are you saying? You're born perfectly fine. And the relationship you guys have is normal. In a way, I mean. Sure, there are a lot more obstacles than some others might have to face, but you'll get to the good stuff eventually; I'm sure."

"I'm sorry for bringing him up in front of you. That was rude, and I overstepped my boundaries," Eren said.

Petra closed her car door, pushing Eren forward. "It's fine. I don't mind. You can come to talk to me about that idiot any time you want."

"Thanks. And thanks for all the trouble you've gone through to take care of me."

"You're not a hassle. But haven't you guys had a fight yet?"

"No, of course we have. We used to fight a lot, actually.  It's been two years here, and I'm honestly dreading the end of it. He'll be graduating, and I don't know where I'll go."

"What do you mean?"

Eren said, "We've fought when he went to Germany. We fought when I tried to break up with him—and I did succeed, and we've fought over a lot of trivial things. Did you guys fight a lot?"

"I don't get where you're trying to go with this."

"Is he going to break up with me one day and leave me to fend for myself? I know I sound selfish, but I can't rely on anyone else right now. And I shouldn't have to rely on him all the time, but I'm helpless like this." He pointed his head toward his cripple self.