Hong Kong

They arrived in Hong Kong during morning rush hour, the streets packed with people on their way to work. Emily felt excitement bubble up inside her as they weaved through the insanity. In many ways it was similar to Seoul, but there was something new and fresh about it, the unknown beckoning to her.

This is amazing, she thought blissfully.

* * * * * *

Jiyong stared out of the car window, frowning at the traffic. We'd better not be late, he thought to himself, checking his watch. They were due at the hotel at ten, then at the AsiaWorld-Arena at eleven for rehearsals, sound checks, last-minute fittings and all of the other essential tasks. He squeezed his eyes shut, feeling a little overwhelmed. Come on, Jiyong, pull it together. This is no different from the other times.
He heard a giggle and opened his eyes, looking at Seungri and Emily in the front row. Emily was pointing at something and Seungri was explaining it to her. Both of them were laughing at some little joke, Emily's face turning red as she tried to stifle her giggles. She looked at him, still smiling widely. Jiyong felt his anxiety lessen and he smiled back. She went back to the window, her eyes wide with excitement.

Well, maybe this time is a little different, he thought, leaning back in his seat. Seunghyun nudged him and Jiyong jumped like someone had pinched him. Seunghyun raised his eyebrows, looking at Emily, then back at Jiyong. "Seunghyun!" Jiyong hissed quietly, shaking his head.

"Why not?" Seunghyun whispered, smiling wickedly. "She's beautiful and nice, and you're...well, you're rich."

Jiyong punched him, causing the others to look at them. He sat back innocently, looking at the floor until they lost interest. "It's not like that," he whispered. "I mistreated her for a long time, Seunghyun. I'm still surprised she accepted my apology. If she liked anyone, it would be you."

Seunghyun snorted softly. "I don't think so. But if you're sure..."

"I'm sure," Jiyong said flatly.

The car pulled up to the hotel and they climbed out, bellboys already hurrying out to get their luggage. Sagowa checked them in at the front desk and handed out room keys. "Everyone's on the fourteenth floor, and I have spare keys if needed. I've got breakfast waiting in my room, then we'll head to the arena."

An elevator ride later they were in Sagowa's suite sitting down to breakfast. It was simple, mostly bagels and fruit, but they were content. Jiyong peeled a banana absently, watching his friends eat and laugh. He was continually drawn back to Youngbae, watching him carefully. The last several days had been torture for both of them as Youngbae went through the first stages of withdrawal. The sobbing and convulsing would haunt Jiyong until he died, but Youngbae had made it this far and seemed to be improving. Youngbae laughed at something and pelted Seunghyun with grapes, color coming into his cheeks. Jiyong felt that familiar wave of gratitude well up as he watched his friend, alive and happy, and shuddered at what could have been. He glanced at Emily, busily spreading cream cheese on a bagel. How can I begin to thank her? he wondered, eating his banana thoughtfully.

"Hurry up everyone, we've got to be at the arena in thirty minutes," Sagowa reminded them, checking his watch. "Guys, you'll come back here around three to get ready and the limo will pick you up at five."

An idea came to Jiyong so vividly he almost choked on his fruit. Everyone was already standing up to leave so Seunghyun was the only one who noticed. "You okay?" he asked, sliding his arms into his jacket.