On My Mind

"Seungri, slow down!" Emily called, trying to keep her hat from flying away. Seungri laughed, wheeling the boat around. "I thought you wanted to feel the wind in your hair," he yelled over the roaring engine.

"A wind, not a hurricane!" she yelled back, holding onto the side of the boat as he spun the wheel again, turning the boat in almost a full circle before continuing down the river.

"I blame you for this," Seunghyun said, punching Daesung in the arm.

"You're the one who let him drive!" Daesung retorted, keeping a firm hand on his scarf.

Youngbae finally convinced Seungri to let him drive and soon they were gliding across the water, the engine dulled to a soft growl.

"That's one way to wake yourself up," Emily said, rubbing her hands together.

"Are you cold? We can go back if you want," Jiyong offered. Emily shook her head. "Are you kidding? I'm having way too much fun to go back," she said, leaning over the side of the boat. She reached out from under the canopy and watched the sunlight play on her hand. The spray was cold, but she didn't mind. There weren't many other people out on such a grey day, and Emily felt at peace.

Until the guys started arguing over the music. Emily opened her eyes and turned around. "Can I pick?" she asked. Before they could reply she plugged her phone in and scrolled through her library. She settled on Norah Jones and leaned back into her seat, staring out over the water.

I waited 'til I saw the sun

Don't know why I didn't come

Jiyong nudged her. "Why so serious?" he asked, smiling.

I left you by the house of fun

"Just thinking," Emily replied.

Don't know why I didn't come

I don't know why I didn't come

"About?"

"My mom."

Jiyong bit his lip and glanced over at the others. They were deep in conversation, all being careful not to look at them. "What can I do?" he asked, covering her hand with his. She smiled at him. "This," she said, looking around at the boat. "This is perfect."

You'll be on my mind forever

After they returned the boat they went to a tiny chicken restaurant that Seunghyun swore by. He insisted on paying for Emily's, despite her protests.

"We're spoiling you today, remember?" he said, giving the cashier his credit card. Emily picked up her food and took a big bite of chicken. "Careful, I might get used to it," she said around a mouthful of food.

They went to a park to eat, crowding around a picnic table. Daesung found a basketball and challenged them to a game of three on three. Emily ended up on a team with Youngbae and Seungri and they played for a while, Emily scoring most of the points. She felt invigorated, her heart pounding as she weaved around the guys, ball in hand.

"How are you so good at this?" Jiyong asked, trying to steal the ball from her. Emily laughed. "I played a little in high school," she said, tossing the ball toward the hoop. It went through with a swish and she threw her hands up triumphantly. "Gentlemen, I believe that's game point," she said, grinning.

She went back to the table and took a large gulp of her drink. Jiyong joined her, wiping his forehead. "Every time I think I've figured you out, you do something like that," he said, sitting down.

"Someone's got to keep you on your toes," Emily said, sitting on the table. She set her leftover chicken in her lap. "Try not to take your defeat too hard," she said, licking her fingers.