Awake

The door opened and Emily's head snapped up instantly. Seunghyun looked in and she waved at him. "Emily!" he said loudly. Emily shushed him, pointing at Jiyong. He immediately hushed and tiptoed over to them. "When did you get here?" he whispered, pulling up a chair.

"A few hours ago," she replied. "I'm sorry I worried you."

"I figured you just needed some time alone," he said, brushing it off. "I can't believe you got him to sleep."

"I have my ways," Emily said, smiling slightly. "Where's Youngbae?"

"Coming later. He stayed with Jiyong for a while after Daesung and I left, so he's resting now." Seunghyun frowned. "Come to think of it, I didn't see Daesung this morning."

"He's at my apartment," Emily replied. "He was waiting for me when I got back. He wanted to make sure I was okay."

"And are you?" Seunghyun asked. The door opened again and they perked up, but it was only Sagowa. "I come bearing gifts," he said, balancing coffees and a paper bag in both hands. "I brought a tea for Jiyong," he said, setting everything on a nearby table.

"Let him sleep," Emily whispered, shaking her head. "Don't disturb him until we have to."

They ate quietly, Jiyong remaining fast asleep on Emily's lap. The sun rose and cast pale bars of light on the bare floor, reminding them that time hadn't stopped. Seunghyun and Mr. Sagowa watched the morning news while Emily stared into space, thinking. I wonder what happens now, she thought, chewing her lip. So many things could change after today.

She looked down at Jiyong. Oddly enough, she felt closer to him than ever. If she had had any doubts about the two of them, they had been erased by the relief in his eyes when he saw her. We almost lost each other, she realized. Never again.

The door opened and an exhausted-looking doctor came in. Emily shook Jiyong gently. "Wake up," she murmured. "The doctor's here."

Jiyong sat up, looking around blearily. Seunghyun and Mr. Sagowa got up immediately. "How is he?" Sagowa asked.

"Still unconscious," the doctor replied. "His aorta was nicked, which is why there was so much blood loss. We were able to close the wound and perform a blood transfusion, but the next few days will be critical. He's a lucky man."

"When will he wake up?" Jiyong asked, standing up.

"We'll bring him out of anesthesia gradually, give his body a chance to wake naturally. He should be awake by this afternoon." He looked down at Emily. "Are you the girl?" he asked.

"Yes," Emily replied, getting up quickly. The doctor sized her up. "You probably know this, but if Mr. Lee hadn't pushed you out of the way, the knife would've gone directly into your heart. You would've died almost immediately."

"I know," Emily said quietly. "I owe him everything."

The doctor nodded. "A nurse will fetch you when he's settled in his room." He left and they all let out a sigh of relief. "Seungri pulled through," Seunghyun breathed.

"Why did the doctor say that?" Jiyong wondered. "That was a little rude."

"He spent the night saving Seungri's life," Emily replied. "He just wanted to make sure I appreciated Seungri's actions. There's nothing rude in that."

Jiyong rubbed his eyes and his eyeliner smudged onto his cheeks. He looked at his streaked hand and frowned. "Perfect," he muttered.

"Why don't you go home and shower?" Emily suggested. "Seungri won't be awake for a while anyway, and you'll feel much better."