Get In the Way

"The album release party will be two weeks from Saturday," Mr. Sagowa announced. "Jiyong, have you decided which songs you want to perform at the party?"

Jiyong shook his head. "Not yet," he mumbled, staring out the window. Sagowa gave him a long look, then turned to Emily. "This will be the biggest event since you and Jiyong started dating. A lot of people will be watching you, but I trust you'll be a success."

Emily nodded. "I'll try," she said, glancing at Jiyong.

The meeting ended and Emily left the room quickly, unable to bear the heavy silence between them for another moment. Youngbae caught up to her. "Still nothing?" he asked, falling in step with her.

"Sometimes I wonder why he doesn't get over it, then I remember what I said and I can't believe he's so calm," she murmured.

"How bad was it?" he asked. "Both of you refuse to tell, but maybe if you did-"

"It wouldn't solve anything," she said pointedly.

"But maybe it's not as bad as you think," Youngbae persisted. "I won't tell the others, I swear."

Emily stopped walking and sighed. "Are you always this nosy?" she asked. Youngbae smiled. "It's one of my more endearing qualities," he teased. Emily glanced around, then beckoned him over to one side. "I... well, we got to shouting over something stupid, and it escalated quickly. He called me a pain in the ass and I said... I said I wouldn't be in this horrific situation if I wasn't with him."

Youngbae's​ chin dropped. "No wonder he's mad," he whispered.

"I don't know why I said it," she said desperately.

"Don't you? You were looking for someone to blame, and you picked him."

"But I didn't mean it!" she insisted. "And now I've ruined everything."

Youngbae rolled his eyes. "Don't be so dramatic," he told her. "People say hurtful things when they're scared, and God knows you're scared enough right now. Jiyong's hurt, but he'll come around."

"I hope so," Emily said fervently.

******

Emily unlocked the door of the penthouse and walked in, trying to stuff her keys back into her bag as she walked. I hope Seungri was right about my laptop being here, she thought, looking around the kitchen.

"Hello!"

Emily shrieked and stumbled backwards, catching herself on the counter. "Who's there?" she demanded. A head popped up over the couch and turned to reveal an older woman with short black hair. "Emily!" she squealed, getting up quickly. Emily remained frozen by the counter, unsure of what to do. "Yes?" she answered cautiously.

"I hoped it was you!" the woman said, coming over to her. She bowed and Emily returned it mechanically. "Do I know you?" she asked.

"No, not yet," the woman replied. "But my son has told me all about you."

Emily's eyes widened. "Mrs. Kwon?" she whispered.

"Yes, but you can call me Han Bi," she said, bowing again. "I know Americans like to be more casual."

"Yes," Emily murmured. Does she know we're not speaking? she wondered, trying to keep a pleasant look on her face. What if Jiyong tells her what I said and she hates me?

"I'm sorry I startled you just now, but I was waiting for Jiyong," Han Bi explained. "I wanted to surprise him since he's been working so hard on his album, but I'm sure you know all about that."