Chapter 2

Ashley pushed through the doors after cheer practice on Friday afternoon, walking into the brisk October afternoon, duffel bag in one hand, backpack in the other. It was almost 4:30, and she had to wait for the bus - as usual. It annoyed her that her parents wouldn't help her pay for a car, but she didn't mind too much. She smiled when she heard a familiar voice call out.

"Ash! Hey!" It was Alex. She knew before she turned around, smiling from ear to ear. She loved seeing him, it was the highlight of her day. His muddy brown hair blew in the soft wind as he walked towards her, his blue eyes sparkling. He swept her up in his arms, giving her a tight, warm hug. His 6 foot, 4 inch height dwarfed Ashley at 5 feet 3 inches. She loved every second of it, and slightly frowned when he let go, much too soon.

"How was your day?" He asked sincerely.

"Long. How was basketball practice?" Ashley replied.

"Difficult, as usual, but I'll be alright." He said, giving Ashley his famous grin. She loved it when he grinned at her like that. He just looked so cute... She took a deep breath, and smiled back at him.

"So, how are things at home?" Alex asked, the smile gone from his face.

"Oh ya know, normal. Mom's out of town for work, dad doesn't really care to invite me over ever... I'm at home by myself all day and night. No big deal." Ashley tried to make light of the situation but Alex could tell she wasn't happy about it. He felt a tug at his heart.

"I'm sorry, pal." He said, calling her his nickname for her. She half smiled.

"I'll be alright." She said, repeating what Alex had said not 5 minutes ago.

"Want me to drive you home, instead of waiting around for the bus? I have my moms car today." He offered.

"Sure. The bus probably won't ever come, anyway." Ashley said. They started off towards the parking lot. Ashley wanted so badly to ask him how he felt about her, if he ever pictured them together.. But she couldn't bring herself to do it. We're just friends. Best friends. Always have been, always will be, I guess. She sighed at her thoughts.

"What are you thinking about?" Alex asked, glancing sideways at her.

"Just school and cheer and the dance and stuff." She lied smoothly.

"Hm." Alex said, suspecting a lie. He didn't pry, though, if she wanted him to know what was on her mind, she'd tell him.

They rode home in a comfortable silence, each lost in their own thoughts. When they pulled up to Ashley's house, she knew he wondered why she was so quiet, but he didn't ask, which she appreciated. She didn't like lying to him, knowing he could see right through her. She noticed her dad's car in the driveway. Hm. That's not like him to just show up. She thought as she thanked Alex and got out of the car. She hopped up the stairs to the front door, which was already unlocked. She had forgotten that her father had a key to the house still.

"Dad?" She called into the quiet house.

"In here!" She heard her dad shout from the family room. She turned the corner to see her father and his wife, Brittany, sitting on the love seat together, grinning like children who had just won a year's supply of candy.

"What's up?" Ashley wondered, sitting across from them on the couch.

"We just came by to tell you that Brittany is 5 months pregnant with twins!!" Her father said rather enthusiastically. Ashley nearly fell out of her seat, but managed to fake a pretty big smile.

"Wow! That's great!" She lied. Just great... She said to herself. They sat and talked for a few more minutes, Ashley struggling not to lose her mind. She was relieved when her father stood up and said,

"Well, we should be getting going. Mommy needs her rest." He grinned at his new wife, helping her up off the love seat. They both hugged Ashley and walked out of the house. Ashley immediately ran up to her room and flung herself on her bed, screaming into one of her pillows. How could her father be so insensitive? She could not believe that he hadn't told her until now. 5 months?! Why didn't he tell her that he even wanted more kids? She was filled with rage, hate, sorrow and confusion. She screamed into her pillow again and let the tears fall from her eyes. How could he do this to me? To MOM? How could he just leave us and then cast us aside and start a new family like we're nothing? She laid there for a while, the sobs silently shaking her small body, tears falling onto her pillow. All she wanted was for the comforting arms of her best friend to be around her. She needed Alex, whether she was in love with him or not, he was still her best friend. Her phone suddenly started ringing, and she frantically sat up and grabbed it, wondering who it could be. It was Alex, and she answered it quickly, needing to hear his voice.

"Hey" She said. Her voice was thick from crying, and she knew that he would hear it.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" He immediately asked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, I just fell asleep and your call woke me up." She lied again. She couldn't tell him this kind of news over the phone. She also didn't want him to know that she had been crying. He got way too protective sometimes.

"You sure?" He asked, not believing her lie.

"Am I sure I was asleep...? Uh, yeah, I think I was." She said sarcastically.

"Fine, fine. I was just calling to check on you. I know you're all alone in that big house." He said. Ashley's heart fluttered.

"Thanks, I'm fine." She said, grinning.

"Okay, good. Well, um, I guess I'll see you Monday." He said slowly. Not really sounding like he wanted to stop talking to her.

"Yeah, see you Monday." Ashley said. They hung up and Ashley flopped back onto her bed, smiling.

He cares about me.