Chapter 11

Ashley awoke the next morning to Madison shaking her shoulder.

"Wake up, Ash, they'll be here soon to pick us up." She said. Ashley groaned and rolled over.

"Noo, I was dreaming about Alex." She said sleepily. Madison laughed and ripped the covers off Ashley, causing her to scream.

"You're going to be with him in about 5 minutes, so just calm down, missy." Madison said, and Ashley slowly got out of bed. They got ready in record time, just throwing their hair up in messy buns, and quickly slipping on jeans, sweatshirts, and brushing their teeth. Ashley had just put on her deodorant and perfume when she heard the doorbell ring. Madison hurried down the stairs and opened the door. Ashley heard he say 'hey Mark!' enthusiastically. Ashley finished getting ready, and made sure her phone and headphones were in her purse. She was going to need some music to get her through the 4 hour car ride. She bounded down the stairs, her large, grey purse slung across her body by the long strap. Mark was taking Madison's things out to the car, and Madison helped Ashley get her stuff out the door so they could get it to the car. Alex jumped out of the car.

"Hey! Let me help you with those!" He said jogging up to the girls. He grabbed the bag from Ashley's hands.

"Thanks." She said with a grateful smile. He put her bag in the car and then cam back for the one that Madison was carrying. Madison nudged her.

"He took the one you were holding first." She whispered, winking at Ashley. Ashley rolled her eyes.

"Whatever, it doesn't mean anything." Ashley said. They got to the car, and Mark was sitting in the middle seat of the van, leaving only one spot open. Madison immediately sat in the seat next to him, leaving the back seat for Alex and Ashley. Ashley half-glared at Madison as she crawled into the back seat, followed by Alex, after he closed the trunk and the side door.

"Is everyone ready?" Megan called from the front seat. Everyone called back, answering with an enthusiastic 'yes'. They began to drive down the street, Megan's boyfriend Mike turning on some music. Everyone settled in, getting comfortable for the long drive. As they merged onto the highway, Ashley stuck her headphones in her ears, gazing out the window as she thought about her dream about Alex. She wanted every second of it to be real. She rested her head on the head rest, still staring out the window, listening to her music and tapping her fingers on her knee to the beat.

That dream... It was so wonderful. Why can't it be real? Why can't I be his girlfriend? Why can't he love me like I love him? I've been trying to figure that out for so long. Why doesn't he want to be more than friends?

She sighed deeply, wishing her dream was real, aching for it to be real. She felt a hand on hers suddenly and jumped a little. She looked over at Alex, who had moved within arms length, and she pulled one of her headphones out.

"What's up?" She asked, confused.

"Are you okay?" He asked quietly.

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?" She asked, even more confused.

"You've been staring out that window for a good half hour, Ash." He almost whispered. Ashley wondered why he didn't want anyone to hear him. She was very aware of his hand, still on top of hers, his fingers brushing the inside of her knee. Her heart was leaping in her chest as she did everything she could to keep from looking at where his hand was. She laughed softly.

"Really?" She said, smirking. Alex nodded.

"I've just been thinking and listening to music." She said, and shrugged.

"Thinking about what?" Alex wondered.

"Nothing in particular. Mostly school." Ashley lied. She was surprised at how easy it was for her to lie to him now. Not that he believed her, but she still lied.