Chapter 24

I didn't even see Micheal move; he was that quick. Until that moment I thought he was just a normal guy, one that disappeared during the day. But nobody moved that fast.

And nobody was that strong, either. Micheal grabbed Oliver by he shoulders, lifted him into the air, and launched him headfirst down the hallway to crash into the far wall. I dived out of the way, so did Justin, and Eve, although Eve was diving toward Oliver, and not away. Justin got hold on her ankle and dragged her backward.

Micheal went after Oliver. As the vampire was rolling to his feet, Micheal smashed into him. Oliver was strong, and fast, but in this house Micheal was unstoppable.

"You fool!" Oliver screamed at him. "Do you understand what I said? Ana has the book!"

"I don't care!" Micheal shouts.

"You have to care! If you don't give it over, they'll rip all of you apart to get it! I'm trying to save you!" Oliver shouts.

Micheal slammed his dust into his face two of three times, quicker than I could blink. Oliver went down again, scrambling at the floor. Vampires bled, after all, but didn't look right- not red enough, and too thick. Micheal had hit him so hard one of his fangs broke off and skittered away across the floor.

"Eve!" Micheal yelled, and tagged him by one foot by the hallway toward the door. "Revoke the invitation! Do it!"

Justin lunged for Eve, pulled her to her feet, and shook her hard. That didn't work. She just stared right past him, her face still and dead. I moved him out of the way and stalled Eve hard.

Eve yelped, clapped a hand to her wounded cheek, and blinked. "Hey! What the hell..?" And then she looked past me to the furious battle going on in the hallway.

"Eve!" Micheal yelled again. "The invitation! You have to withdraw it now!"

"But I didn't-" Eve didn't waste time arguing. "Hey! Oliver! Get the hell out of our house!"

Oliver went still. Completely still, like a dead man. Micheal picked him up by an arm and threw him out into the dark. I heard the vampire hit the pavement outside and curse as he rolled back to his feet and came to the door. He bounced off a solid cushion of air in the doorway.

"You're not welcome" Micheal grated. "And by the way? Eve quits"

He slammed the door in Oliver's snarling face, and collapsed against it, shaking. He didn't look all powerful anymore. He looked terrified.

"Micheal?" Eve asked, breathless. "You okay?"

"Peachy" he said, and got it together. "Eve, stay away from the door. He got you once; maybe he can do it again. Ana! You too. Stay away from the door" he grabbed me by the arms ab pulled me down the hall - which was now a mess. He shoved me into a sitting position on the couch.

"Ana?" He asks.

"Um...yes?" Things were moving too fast. And I didn't know what he was waiting to hear.

"The book?" Micheal asks me.

"Oh. Yeah. Well- see, there was this floor in the library where they were going through books, and professor Wilson was stealing things, and-"

He held up his hand to stop me. "Do you have the book?" He asks me.

"Yes" I nod my head.

"Please tell me you didn't bring it here" Micheal groans.

I blinked. "Well- yes" I say.

Micheal fell into the armchair, leant forward, and buried his face in his hands. "Sweet baby Jesus, do you not pay any attention to what goes on in this town? You really have the book?"