Chapter 37

I had a break between classes - it couldn't really be called a lunch break, because it fell at ten am, so I walked to the University Centre for coffee. It was one large, open atrium filled with couches, chairs and even a grand piano. Student activity banners, most badly painted, draped overheard and fluttered in the weak air conditioning.

Most of the couch groupings were already claimed by students talking or separately studying. I had my eye on an open table near the corner, but I'd have to hurry.

I hurried for the coffee bar at the back of the atrium, and smiled and waved as I spotted Eve behind the espresso machine. Eve waved back, pulled two shots at the same time, and dumped them into steamed milk. The line was about five deep, and I had plenty of time to think about what Justin's dad had said.

What was he doing there today? Really? Maybe he'd come to fetch Justin, but I wasn't sure. Justin's dad seemed to have a plan, but I have no idea what it was. Maybe Justin would know, but I didn't want to ask. Micheal. I'd tell Micheal everything, as soon as he appeared.

"Large mocha" I said, and dug out the required three-fifty from my jeans pocket. It was a huge expense for me, but I figured it was only right to celebrate.

Eve's first day on the job. The cashier a bored looking guy, wishing he was anywhere else, took my cash and waved me on to the line for drinks.

I was standing there, thumbing through my English-lit book, when I heard muffled laughter, and then a wet dull thud as a drink tipped over on the counter. I looked up to see a ring of guys standing around a split drink, which was dripping from both sides of the counter.

"Hey, zombie chick" one of them said to Eve, who was standing next to the counter, still pulling shots obviously ignoring them. "Wanna clean that up?"

A muscle fluttered in Eve's jaw, but she silently got a handful of paper towels and began to mop up the mess. Once the counter was clean, she raised the hinged section of the bar and cleaned the floor on both sides.

The boys continued to snigger. "You missed a spot" said the one who'd spilt the drink. "Over there"

Eve had to bend over to get the spot where he was pointing. He quickly stepped behind her and began banging his crotch against her butt. "Oh baby!" He said, and they all laughed. "You're so fucking hot for a dead girl"

Eve calmly straightened up, turned around and stared at him. Not a word. She was blushing, furiously, on Eve's behalf. And shaking.

"Excuse me" Eve finally said, and moved him aside with one hand flat on his chest. She got behind the bar again and slammed down the hatch, took the two espresso shots and dumped them into a fresh cup, stirred and put the lid on it, slamming it on the bar. "Here. On the house"

The creep reached out, grabbed the cup, and squeezed. The top popped off. Coffee went everywhere, splattering Eve, the counter, the floor, the guy holding onto it. His buddies burst out laughing. "Oops. I guess I don't know my own strength"

Eve looked at the guy at the register, but he just shrugged. She took a deep breath, smiled, not her normal smile at all, and said, "You ought to see a doctor about that, Bullwinkle. Plus the crotch rash. Next! I have a mocha for Ana!" Eve thumped down another cup and vigorously scrubbed the counter.

"Oh my god" I whispered. "What do you want me to do? Get somebody?"

"Who?" Eve rolled her eyes. "It's my first day - it's a little too early to run tattling like a girly girl. Leave it alone, Ana. Just take your coffee and go on. I'll be fine. I've got a PHD in taking shit from jocks"

"But Justin? Should I call Justin?" I ask.

"Only if you want to be cleaning up blood instead of coffee-"