Chapter 65

"Here," Michael said, and handed me the flashlight. "She might come looking for us here, but not for a while."

It was a secret hidey-hole, one that I had been shoved into on my very first morning in the Glass House; no exits, only the one entrance. I'd thought from the beginning it looked like someplace a vampire might stash a couple of handy coffins, but it was empty. And as far as I knew, Michael slept on a Serta.

"I meant to ask you. What is this?"

"Root cellar," he said. "This house was built before refrigerators, and ice deliveries were only so-so. This was where they kept most of their vegetables."

"So ... not a vampire hideout?"

Michael stretched his long legs out with a sigh and leaned against the wall. God, he was pretty. No wonder Eve was willing to overlook the lack of pulse. "Not so far as I've ever known, but the vampires in Morganville never really had to hide. Only the humans did."

Which wasn't what we were here to talk about, I supposed. I crossed my arms and felt the bracelet bite into the skin of my wrist under the shirt. "Whatever lecture you were going to give me, it's too late. I signed, it's done, I've got the souvenir bracelet." Which made me suddenly, strangely want to cry. "Michael -- "

"What's she asking you to do?" Which was so right-on that I felt the pressure of tears behind my eyes and in my nose get even higher.

"Um ... " I couldn't tell him, Amelie and Sam had both made it clear. "It's just extra schoolwork. She wants me to study some things."

"What things?" Michael's voice got sharp and worried. "Ana -- "

"It's nothing. Science stuff. I would have probably been doing it anyway, but it's just -- it's a lot more study, and I don't know how I'm going to -- " Keep it from Justin. Because I had to, right? Bad enough he hated Michael for being a vampire, what was he going to think about me, selling myself to Amelie? "I just don't know how I'm going to do all this."

And suddenly, I was crying. I didn't mean to, but there it was, boiling out of me. I expected Michael to do the Justin thing, come and comfort me, but he didn't. He sat right where he was and watched me. When my sobs died down, and I swiped my hands across my wet cheeks, he said, "Finished?"

I gulped and nodded.

"You made the choice, now you want to have it both ways -- the benefits, but not the consequences. You can't, Ana. It's coming home to roost, and you'd better handle it now rather than later." Michael's tone softened, just a little. "Look, I'm not an asshole, I know how scared you are. But you're a player in this town now. You're not the fragile little thing we took in for protection. You're trying to protect us. That means you may not be as well liked anymore, and you're going to have to sack up about that."

"What?" I felt dazed. Somehow, this wasn't how I'd expected all this to go. Especially Michael's cool, challenging look, and the lack of hugging.

"Signing the contract isn't the last choice you're going to have to make," he said. "It's the choices you make from now on that show whether you did the right thing or not." He stood up, pale and strong and as gorgeous as an angel in the glow of my flashlight. "And stop lying to me. You ought to get off to a better start."

"I -- what?"

"You said what Amelie has you doing is just more studying," he said grimly. "And I can tell when you're lying. No, I'm not going to ask, because I can tell it scares you, but just remember, vampires can tell, all right?"

He swung the door open and ducked out. I stared after him, open-mouthed, but by the time I'd scrambled through and switched off the flashlight, Michael was already gone, out of the pantry. Crap. It's going to look like we were ...