Chapter 128

The signal had come over the coded strategy network, which I had just assumed was dead, considering that Oliver had been the one running it. But Richard had found a use for it, and as I burst in the front door, breathless, I heard Michael and Eve talking in the living room. I closed and locked the door, dumped my backpack, and hurried to join them.

"What did I miss?"

"Shhh," they both said. Michael, Eve, and Justin were all seated at the table, staring intently at the small walkie talkie sitting upright in the middle. Michael pulled out a chair for me, and I sat, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Richard was talking.

--No telling whether or not this storm will hit us full on, but right now, the Weather Service shows the radar track going right over the top of us. It'll be here in the next few hours, probably right around dark. It's late in the year for tornado activity, but they're telling us there's a strong possibility of some real trouble. On top of all the other things we have going on, this isn't good news. I'm putting all emergency services and citizen patrols on full alert. If we get a tornado, get to your designated shelters.

Designated shelters? I mouthed to Michael, who shrugged.

If you're closer to City Hall, come here; we've got a shelter in the basement. Those of you who are Civil Defense wardens, go doortodoor in your area, tell people we've got a storm coming and what to do. We're putting it on TV and radio, and the university's going to get ready as well.

"Richard, this is Hector," said a new voice. "Miller House. You got any news about this takeover people are talking about?"

"We've got rumors, but nothing concrete," Richard said. "We hear there's a lot of talk going around town about taking back City Hall, but we've got no specific word about when these people are meeting, or where, or even who they are. All I can tell you is that we've fortified the building, and the barricades remain up around Founder's Square, for all the good that does. I need everybody in a securitydesignated location to be on the alert today and tonight. Report in if you see any sign of an attack, any sign at all. We'll try to get to you in support."

Michael exchanged a look with the rest of us, and then picked up the radio. He pressed the button. "Michael Glass. You think Bishop's behind this?"

"I think Bishop's willing to let humans do his dirty work for him, and then sweep in to make himself lord and master on the ashes," Richard said. "Seems like his style. Put Justin on."

Michael held out the radio. Justin looked at it like it might bite, then took it and pressed TALK. "Yeah, this is Justin."

"I have two unconfirmed sightings of your father in town. I know this isn't easy for you, but I need to know: is Jeremy Bieber back in Morganville?"

Justin looked into my eyes and said, "If he is, he hasn't talked to me about it."

He lied. My lips parted, and I almost blurted something out, but I just couldn't think what to say. "Justin," I whispered. He shook his head.

"Tell you what, Richard, you catch my dad, you've got my personal endorsement for tossing him in the deepest pit you've got around here," Justin said. "If he's in Morganville, he's got a plan, but he won't be working for or with the vamps. Not that he knows, anyway."

"Fair enough. You hear from him--"

"You're on speed dial. Got it." Justin set the radio back in the center of the table. I kept staring at him, willing him to speak, to say something, but he didn't.

"Don't do this," I said. "Don't put me in the middle."

"I'm not," Justin said. "Nothing I said was a lie. My dad told me he was coming, not that he's here. I haven't seen him, and I don't want to. I meant what I said. If he's here, Dick and his brownshirts are welcome to him. I've got nothing to do with him, not anymore."