Chapter 6

It's been a month since Zak went back to Vegas. I missed him a lot, but I was having a great time at SPS. My first day of high school wasn't nearly as bad as people lead you to believe. Everyone at SPS is really nice and will help you if you have a question. On my first day, I forgot which way to go to get to my next class, so I asked a really cute senior boy, and he told me. Inside I was freaking out, but I kept my cool.

Abby and I made a few more friends. Katherine, Kat for short, lived right below us on second floor. She was an artist, so I connected with her instantly. We both planned on taking art sophomore year. Vance was one of my few guy friends. He played guitar, wrote music, was an amazing actor, and could sing pretty well. His roommate, Xavier (everyone called him Xave, pronounced Zave) also played guitar, but was better at drums.

Classes were going well. I was getting straight A's, which Zak was proud of. And piano was a breeze. We were required to take it one semester, then we could take Introduction to Composers, Composing 101, or continue in piano lessons. I wasn't sure what I was going to do yet, because my piano teacher really didn't teach my anything, but it was an easy A for my GPA.

Abby, Vance, Xave, Kat, and I sat in the SU (student union), watching Lord of the Rings on Xave's laptop. Vance was on Xave's left, with Kat next to him. I was on Xave's  left, with Abby next to me. Kat's head slowly sunk down onto Vance's shoulder. They were so cute together. They started dating the second week of school.

"Kat, you're falling asleep. You should be in bed," Vance told her, waking her up.

"I know, but I don't want to spend my Saturday night sleeping like a nerd." She yawned.

"Sleeping is not for nerds," Vance replied. "Let me walk you back. You need to sleep." He stood up, then pulled Kat to her feet. "Sorry guys, duty calls," he said apologetically. "We can all go get lunch tomorrow or something."

"Sounds cool," said Abby.

"Yeah, I've been in the mood for Brisker's," I said. (whenever we went out, we went to Brisker's, a local, family-owned restaurant.)

"Cool, I'll text you the details," Vance said with a smile. Then he continued to walk with Kat back to Statson Hall.

A few minutes later, Abby stood up. "I hate to ditch you too, but I'm going to my uncle's for dinner tonight. It's already 2:15, and I still have to shower. Catch ya later!" She smiled as she backed up towards the door. Now it was just me and Xave. We didn't talk much, but we both considered each other to be good friends.

"Finally," he said with a sigh of relief. "I thought they'd never leave. You want to listen to some real music?" he asked me.

"Surprise me."

"Listen to this." He opened Google and went to YouTube. All of a sudden, a hand covered my eyes.

"Hey, cant I at least see what you're looking up?" I protested.

"Nope. I want you to listen first."

I heard the click of the keys as he typed something into the search bar. There was a moment of silence before the music began. I recognized it instantly.

"This is Crowning the Empire's cover of Payphone for Punk Goes Pop. I love this!"

He removed his hand from my eyes. "I thought you would."

After the song was over, there was a moment of silence. Just as I was about to ask him if he was okay, he took my by surprise.

"Do you want to go get dinner later?"

I was shocked. Before here, no one even wanted to be around me, let alone be my friend or ask my out to dinner. I pulled my self together, then answered,