Chapter 9

Nick, Aaron, and I sat in the hospital lobby, sipping our coffees. We all remained silent, not sure what to say. I tried extremely hard to keep my mind off of everything that was going on. I resorted to people-watching, which proved to be just mind-numbing enough that I could stay calm. I watched as nurses walked back and forth, helping patients or pushing gurneys. One particular nurse walked over to us.

"Are you here with Mr. Bagans?" she asked politely.

"What about it?" asked Nick.

"He has woken up."

That was all I needed to hear. I sprinted to the stairs, knowing the elevator would be too slow. Nick yelled after me, but his voice seemed distant. I used all my strength to keep from running down the hallway on the third floor. I approached the room and walked inside. Zak was sitting up, looking alive again. The doctor was examining his head, looking for any signs of brain damage.

"Crimson!" he exclaimed as soon as he caught sight of me.

I ran over to him and gave him the biggest possible hug. I rested me head on his shoulder, tears of joy running down my face. "I thought I lost you," I whispered between sobs.

"I'm right here. Don't cry sweetheart. I'm not going anywhere."

"Ma'am, could you please step to the side for a minute? I need to finish my exam," asked the doctor politely.

"Sure," I said, letting go of Zak.

Nick and Aaron arrived shortly after I sat down next to Zak. They talked to the doctor, who said everything was fine and he could be discharged after eating something. Then they turned to Zak.

"Wow, some lockdown," Zak said to them.

Nick and Aaron just laughed.

We got home around seven that night. Nick went to stay at Aaron's after making sure Zak was okay. I made tomato soup for a late supper, since Zak was supposed to eat light foods for the next couple days. After dinner, we sat in the living room.

"How did you find out?" asked Zak.

"It's kind of a weird story," I said.

"Tell me."

"Well, my friend Xave and I went to dinner and saw a movie that night. I had turned my phone off because people wouldn't stop texting me. We hadn't planned on seeing a movie, but decided to on our way back to school. When we got back, Abby came rushing out of the building and told me."

"Oh."

"Yeah. I basically broke down, because I was afraid I wouldn't see you alive again. Turns out I was wrong."

"This wont be the end of it."

"What?" I asked, confused.

"That coma wasn't medical related. That's why the doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me."

He was starting to scare me. "Then what caused it?"

"While I was in the coma, I was pulled into a different world. I know it sound crazy, but it was way too real to be a hallucination or dream. I know now why that thing kept following me, and why I felt the irresistible urge to help you. I was being controlled by a demon. Lucifer. And he told me about you."

By the way he looked at me, I knew he knew. He knew I am an angel. "I didn't want to tell you because I thought it would put you in danger. Turns out you already were," I apologized.

"The man promised he would capture you, and I would die trying to save you. I don't know what to do." His head sunk.

"We'll figure it out." I thought for a minute. "Zak, come help me with something."