Chapter 4 : The Broodmother

A large chunk of wood flew out and hit the floor with a solid thunk. Carlos examined the chunk, as chunk after chunk flew from the tree. Joe still had a lot of work to do on his tree cutting skills, unfortunately that can't be improved with levelling up. This was something Jane had taught him, she'd been a harvester for 8 years she was one of the first arrivals. If you kill/tame dinosaurs or harvest a lot then you level up allowing you to learn how to build new items. It also allowed you to upgrade your stats Joe mostly levelled up his speed, so he could escape in case Yashcheritsa ever showed up. He'd seen many deadly, peculiar and beautiful things on the island his favourite so far were the Dilos. There were a couple back at the compound with the most vibrantly coloured frills. At the moment he enjoyed life on the island although this was the only life he'd ever known. Finally cutting through the large trunk he salvaged as much wood as he could from the tree, which he had made quite a mess of. It had been 3 weeks since he arrived on the island soon there would be a new arrival with a new species to accompany them. Back at the compound, people were amazed at Carlos with his slim build yet surprising intelligence. They did many examinations on him including puzzle solving in which he ranked first just above the raptor. According to Bob it was quite normal for someone to seek out the dinosaur they arrived with seeking some sort of bond. Stuart the man who arrived a month before him dropped with the Kairuku and Anglerfish it was a double drop. However this had happened before and two humans are also dropped both twins; although nobody had found Stuart's twin until a week after his arrival, his corpse lying cold in one of the island many cave systems. This did not however deter Stuart a week after his twin's death he went and tamed the friendly Kairuku - and in honour of his twin the fiendish Angler.

On his way back to the compound Joe turned to his Compy companion. He felt a strong bond with Carlos but no matter how much he wanted to give Carlos a pack, he could not, only glimpses of wild ones had been seen. Joe had also learned about the existence of the island's three obelisks one blue one red and one green. They were mostly used for waypoints to easily find your way around the island. The compound was closest to the the green obelisk out of curiosity Joe was heading there right now.

He arrived at the monolith structure gazing with extreme curiosity. Walking slowly he approached a podium like structure directly below the obelisk. There was a button directly in the centre of the podium Carlos looked at it with fear yet despite they're closeness Joe could not sense this. He pressed the button waiting for something to happen. Then the whole island began to shake Joe backed slowly away from the podium, shortly afterwards a booming female voice stated "THE BROODMOTHER HAS BEEN SUMMONED." The floor of the obelisk parted to reveal a large hole leading straight down it was lined with thick webs. A huge segmented, green leg emerged digging into the soil then another followed by a loud chittering. Then her head emerged and she released a scream that projected a luminescent green liquid over the forest. The tree's released a sizzling sound as they burnt to stumps. As she pulled her large abdomen out the cavern along with her remaining legs. Then Joe saw them a sea of greenish brown spiders the size of ponies crawled around her.

Joe panted heavily as he rushed to the compound his increased speed really helped him. Even from here he could see a few cowards escaping on their Pteradons and Argents. He knew they saw the Broodmother from the skies and so they left. Seeing the gates closing Joe sped up sliding through the gates he heard Steve shouting orders. "Joe what happened" he screamed through the chaos. "It's the obelisk it summoned her." Joe yelled back. "Get on the turret on the north side." Steve barked Joe didn't ask questions he sprinted toward the appropriate turret it had several automatic turrets on either side. Joe leaped into its seat focusing on the ocean of spiders as they came in wave upon wave. He thought it was hopeless then he remembered Tracy and Carlos, Jane and Steve, Bob and Stuart. The thought of the amazing people he'd me pushed him on then he saw her. The Broodmother she was munching on wood tearing into a bush salad. Devouring everything her minions joined her even the wild dinosaurs were being eaten but then his eyes focused on the Broodmother again she was giving birth to more spiderlings. Oh God Joe thought "Aim for the big one" he shouted to whoever was listening. Then he heard the screams and realised they were in the compound. He jumped out the turret and unsheathed his sword I must get to Tracy he thought.