Chapter 8 : Old Memories

Liz squinted as she opened her eyes at the bright sun. Where was she? Who was she? She gasped as she realized she wasn't breathing. Breathing that's important thought Liz to herself. She looked around and to her surprise there were three others with her. Two men and another woman they were also looking around with awe. "Who are you?" She said. "I don't know." They all said starting with a short black haired man. "Wait on the count of three pick a name." The other woman said. "Liz" said Liz. "James" said James. "Mary" said Mary. However the remaining man stood silent contemplating. "Jack" He eventually said.

They travelled for many miles before night fell in that time they'd gotten to know each other. Liz was kind yet sarcastic. Jack was brash but brutally self sufficient. James was too kind hearted he could barely defend himself. Mary now Mary was cruel she didn't care for others only herself, yet she also enjoyed being cruel. She tested this on a poor Parasaur baby who was limping along when she chased it towards some Dilos. As night fell they gathered around a fire that dimly lit each others faces. They discussed a survival plan, then went to sleep.

Liz woke up in the middle of the night her mouth dry. She took a sip from a nearby stream. A deep growl responded from the tree line she woke Jack up as he was their chief. He woke everyone else up. Shortly after they heard the sound of cracking twigs and crunching leaves. Then a roar splintered the calm night air and the sound of a large creature bounding towards them. Mary grabbed a flaming log and threw it into the creatures direction. It illuminated the creatures bulky black form it was darker than the black sky. Its eyes were a burning red that looked into your soul. The creature lunged at James unfortunately his kindness couldn't save him now. Yashcheritsa's teeth burried themselves inside James the poor fellow released a final scream then was silenced. Mary thought she could take on the giant Rex and grabbed another log. She threw it at the Rex charing its already black scales. It turned on her and grabbed her by the arm and hoisted her skyward then threw her bleeding carcass into a tree trunk. She stained the wood and leaves with her blood. As it turned to Jack and Liz, Jack threw a fistfull of ash and soot into its eyes. "Run!" Jack yelled soon after bolting along the beach.

After a whole night of running they arrived at a cave. They set up shelter in the cave and built a small thatch hut. Jack and Liz were forever traumatised by the events of that night however they did not see Yashcheritsa for a long time. Liz had learnt to love Jack and Jack the same with Liz. But neither of them knew this and soon it would be too late.

One day they were out harvesting Jack had tamed two Pulmonscorpius in honour of their dead tribemates. They gathered berries however Jack had noticed something strange, something familiar wrong with the local dinos. Also a few Brontos had been found dead and nothing could take them down. Liz had tamed a Pteradon she had quite a knack for flying creatures. While out harvesting Liz heard a familiar growling, Yashcheritsa was near. Liz ran back to the cave to warn Jack. A thundering sound was following her. She turned around to see Yashcheritsa following her at a lumbering pace. Speeding up she ran faster however the Rex's pace didn't change. The cave was in sight now. She tripped on a root from a tree and fell to the ground within seconds Yashcheritsa was upon her. "Jack run!" She shouted as the Rex stomped onto her legs and crushed her spine. even if she could get out from under his foot she wouldn't escape. Jack looked out the cave to see this scene unfolding before him. He threw a spear at the lizards large head catching one of its useless arms. He screamed in pain and advanced towards Jack crushing Liz in the process.

Jack spent the next three days in the cave while Yashcheritsa staked out the cave. He waited for seven months before Steve arrived. But even he was dead now. So many had died but why had they chosen Steve instead of him to lead them? Why did they call him Mad-Jack? They thought he was crazy well he'd show them he had something big planned. He would take over while they were in mourning with his army of Pulmonscorpius. "Come on Liz." Jack said being followed by the 120 Meganeura. The scorpions were too ugly, too brutish for Liz. However the Meganeura captured her perfectly.