♀ Chapter 1 - H O M E C O M I N G

(2015)

♀Shanaya♀

Today I was going back to New York after 4 years. I had missed my life there so much. But what I had missed the most was him. I would see him soon. I wonder if he remembers me..

As I boarded the plane I thought about the years I'd spent here in Mumbai. These years had been absolutely fantastic. When I had come here I was a shy girl, not very open to anyone. I had been close to only him before, he knew everything about me. Sure I'd had other girl friends, but he was the only one who knew all that went on in my life. I thought about the memories we shared, about the school we went to, my old house too. I had missed everything.

But staying here had proved to be an excellent decision by my parents. No longer was I the shy, awkward little girl. I was loud, free, bold and I dare say it.. beautiful. My best friend Aisha would soon be joining me in New York. I had so much to look forward to. Especially him.

We had stayed in touch regularly for 2 years after I'd left. But slowly the calls got shorter, texts were clipped and then the calls stopped altogether. I still hadn't told him that I was coming.
I wanted to surprise him, see if he recognised me and most importantly, remember me.

As the flight landed at JFK airport, I collected my luggage and proceeded outside. It felt so good to be back. I saw our old driver, Sam standing outside with a board which said," Welcome home Shanaya." Aww..
On seeing me he immediately smiled and I hugged him. I'd known him for as long as I could remember.

"Woah, look at you.. all grown up. You've become quite a woman. And a pretty one if I may add."

My smile became a full grin now.

"How was your flight?"

"It was okay, you know I don't like traveling.."

"Well we should get going now, come on."

He grabbed my bags and we set of in a Range Rover to my new apartment.

An hour later he informed me that we had reached. We were near Central Park in Manhattan. The buliding we'd stopped outside was beautiful. The apartment must've cost a fortune. Not that my parents would care. Being wealthy certainly had its perks. Just the thought of staying here excited me. Sam motioned for me to follow him. We rode the elevator to the 18th floor. As he unlocked the door I stood there speechless, gaping at the sight before me. The apartment/penthouse was absolutely perfect. Modern with a slight vintage touch to it. But that was not the best part. The view was spectacular! But it looked familiar, as if I'd seen it before but I couldn't recall how. I had a very good memory. The jetlag must've caught up with me, otherwise I certainly would have remembered.

This must've certainly cost a fortune.

Sam quickly explained everything to me and told me that he would come and check on me once every Sunday morning.

My parents were letting me stay here only because Aisha would be here with me. They would never let me stay alone. "Safety First" is what they said everytime I had mentioned living alone. So it was great news when Aisha had said she'd come with me. I'd have a great roommate.

I decided to sit down before exploring and unpacking. I remember laying down staring at the beautiful view of the city and then I fell asleep.

 I remember laying down staring at the beautiful view of the city and then I fell asleep

Range Rover

   Shanaya's apartment

Shanaya's apartment.