♀ Chapter 22 - A L I E N A T I O N

On Thurday, I didn't see Zayden at all, which I didn't pay much attention to because it's not like we have to talk everyday. He hadn't replied to my texts, which was a little strange but maybe the guy just needed space.

But on Friday, when I didn't see him at school, I began to think he was avoiding me, on purpose. I knew he was here, his car was parked in his usual spot. What was initially a doubt changed to belief by the end of the day.

After try-outs for athletics, I saw that he had football practise and since we'd be done half-hour before the boys, I decided to wait for him.

I sat on the stands watching him play. He played exceptionally well. Maybe I'm just biased, but he was undoubtedly the best in the team, Chase a close second. They stopped for a drinks break for two minutes and I'm pretty sure he saw me. I say I'm sure because Chase specially pointed at me and waved cheekily. I waved back, at both of them. He just nodded in my general direction and resumed playing.

After coach blew his whistle indicating the end of the day's practise, I decided to wait out the men's locker room.

After a few minutes, he came out, dressed in a grey t-shirt and shorts with wet tousled hair. I don't know why, but somehow the look of guys when they're sweating or have just showered, appeals to me. Like his hair just called to me,

Come closer, touch me.
(Pun intended.)

With a conscious effort I diverted my line of thoughts and managed to wave.

"Hi."

"Hey."

We stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before I broke the silence.

"Can we talk?"

"Oh, actually I'm kind of in a rush right now."

"Uhm.. okay. I'll see you later then I guess."

"Yeah. Later."

And that was the end of our conversation.

He turned around and left. I stood with my back against the wall. All I could think of 'Is he in some problem?' or 'Have I done something?'

"Hey there Chika. Waiting for me?"

"Huh?"

I turned around to see Chase standing there with a huge grin on his face.

I managed to give a small laugh to that.

"Actually I was just waiting for that best friend of yours, who apparently had no time to talk to me."

"Why does he always get the best chicks?" He joked.

"Maybe that's because he doesn't actually make it obvious that he's trying to get in their pants. Unlike some people here."

"Hey, go easy on me. Besides atleast I'm honest about who I am."

We started making our way to the parking lot.

"You wanna go grab a coffee?"

I gave him a look with one raised eyebrow.

"What? It's just a coffee.. a friendly coffee."

"Alright."

We headed to a coffee place nearby called the coffee shack.

"So why were you looking for Zayden exactly?" He asked as we settled down in a comfortable booth.

"Uhm.. no reason. Just wanted to catch up."

He smirked. "You know I know everything about him, right?"

"Yeah.."

"Which means what you're not telling me, he will."

I smiled at that.

"Okay look, we had a date on Wednesday.."

"I'm aware of that."

"Which had to be rescheduled because I had some urgent family crisis back in Seattle?"

"Yeah. So wait, that's what you wanted to talk about?"

"No. Well kind of. But not only that. He hasn't replied to my texts so I wanted to check up on him."

"Well chika, you must be aware of the bro code. Hence, I cannot reveal any information." He winks. "But I can tell you this. Zayden's not the type of person who ignores people. Everything will be fine."

"Okay, if you say so."

I hoped it was true.

"If there is a problem as such, I'd love to fill in Zayden's shoes on that date." He winks.

"Nice try. But I think I'll pass."

"You hurt my feelings chika. Now I take this as a challenge."

He pouted like the little kid he was.

I laughed.

"Give it your best shot Mr. Clafin. I never loose challenges. "

"Neither do I, Sasha. Neither do I."

We spent the rest of the evening just talking and it made me realize that Chase was a really amazing person. He was easy on the eyes most definitely, funny and smart enough to keep a conversation flowing. Maybe if circumstances were different, I could've liked him. But they weren't. And my heart was stuck on falling for one person.

And that person was apparently ignoring me.

Well until that problem was sorted, I had something to look forward to. The challenge. The I'll-show-you glint he had in his eyes, they literally twinkled with the though of the challenge.

Now let's see what he'd do to win. What he doesn't know is that I'm a tough nut to crack.

Bring it on Clafin.