Detention Part 2

"Please take your time coming down the stairs. Stay calm, because everything's gonna be all right." Coach said as they descended the stairs and Noodle pulled his phone out of his pocket seeing if he had service as he walked into the shelter.

"What are you doing here? Mom and Dad didn't say you were picking me up." Nik heard Mary say to her brother as they walked into the shelter. Grover nodded his head towards Violet and Mary laughed "You're pathetic."

"My mom was at the plant and said that there was some kind of explosion." A random girl said and Nik pulled out her phone and tried video calling her 'parents'. Her 'dad' picked up after two rings. "Nik...oh thank goodness!" he cried as relief washed over his face with she was paying more attention to what was going on behind him. "What's going on?" She cried tears streaming down her face "I'm sorry sweetie..." there was aloud boom and a lot of shuffling on the other end but then the phone dropped to the floor with the camera positioned on the unmistakable mangled image of her now dead adoptive father. She stared at the screen in horror as everyone talked and she  drowned them out as best she could but could still hear them.

"Did she say what caused it?"

"My dad said it was a huge fire." A sob escaped Nik and Noodle who was sitting next to her followed her gaze to the phone screen that was still trained on the same grotesque and horrible image. His eyes widened at the sight and he took the phone from her and ended the call. The room shook and Noodle pulled Nik  towards him and she cried into his jacket as the shaking continued and people screamed.

"Hey, let's keep it together, people." coach began tryin to calm everyone down. Noodle pulled Nik closer to him as she kept crying. "Now, this shelter was built a long time ago to withstand just about anything. We're gonna be safe no matter what happens down at Keller. We could last in here for weeks if we had to." he reassured and Nik looked up.

"You really think we'd be here for weeks?" She asked in a scared tone. Noodle kept his arm around her waist the same way Leshaen does with Zoey which made her blush but her face was already red from crying so no one noticed.

"Of course not." he said looking at Nik sympathetically which she usually hated but her emotions were to weak to argue.

"I said we could be here, not that we will be." said coach trying to fix his mistakes wording. "I'm sure they have everything under control." He said.

"The news says that there's reports of a spill." Natalie said walking towards the coach.

"Let me see that." he said taking her phone and looking at it.

"What you doing with my sister." asked Leshaen suddenly angry as he saw the way Noodle was holding Nik.

"I don't see you comforting her." Noodle replied so harshly he almost growled. Nik glared at Leshean.

"Go away." she said to him and he moved away from Zoey towering over her as she was sitting on the bottom bunk of one of the rusty old beds.

"You better watch your tone." He said sternly.

"What are you gonna do if I don't?" She asked him wrapping her one arm around Noodle's waist. Leshaen glared down at her and then whispered.

"Same I did last time" he smiled cooly and she looked at him fear evident on her face. He pulled his hand back like he was gonna hit her and she flinched out of habit.

"You touch her and it'll be the last thing you ever do."Noodle says and stands up in front of Nik holding her one hand in his behind his back.

"No ones touching anybody." Coach said breaking them up.