Trapped Part 3

"Hey. How you holding up?" Nik asked Grover when she saw him. "I've been better. This whole thing's my fault." He said looking down. "Trust me, it's not." she replied gently putting her hand on his shoulder. "I couldn't protect her." he tried to reason.
"Stop beating yourself up." Nik whisper yelled at him. "You did everything you could." she added. "Do you really believe that?" Grover looked up and asked her. "Yeah." she replied with a small smile. Grover pulled her to him in a hug and she laughed. "Bye Grover" she said pulling away and turning to walk down the hall.

"What was that?" asked Noodle to Nik as she walked around a corner after her talk with Grover. "What?" she asked and he sighed. "That touching the shoulder and hugging thing with Grover?" he asked anger in his eyes. Nik was scared for Grover. "Hey calm down." She said placing her hand on the side of his neck. "Grovers just a friend. I love you, ok? He means nothing to me. You mean everything." Nik said and Noodle looked down. He put his hand on top of hers where it still was on the side of his neck. "I just don't wanna loose you." he said and Nik pushed his chin up so that he was facing her. "I'm not going anywhere." she said. "Promise?" he asked hopefully. "Promise." she said.

"I came in here to say thanks.
You did the right thing, keeping her alive." Violet said to Barrett.
"You mean the most useful thing, and you're not here to thank me.
It's amazing what you can learn with a few hours of static and nothing but your files." he said. "Where'd you get that." she asked and he shrugged. "Let's just say Noodle's little bird gave it to me." he replied. Violet growled "Nik." She said bitterly. "So I stole. Big whoop." she said. "Mm, chemicals. And not the kind you make soap and candles with.
Rust and aluminum powder." Barrett replied reading it off the paper. "For ceramics. It was a glaze." she replied. "Very combustible glaze. Burns right through metal. What type of art are you doing? May I take a stab? I think you used the chemicals to make a thermite bomb." Barrett said. "Doesn't prove anything." Violet replied. "Not on its own." Barrett added. "However, only a few days after you stole the chemicals, there's a catastrophic fire at the chemical plant. Quite the coincidence." he said. "And what are you suggesting?" Violet questioned. "Nothing. Only that you might have been responsible for the entire disaster." Barrett said bitterly. "Bite me." she replied. Nik heard Violet say to someone in a room. She peeked through the window in the door and saw Violet and Barrett. The latter saw her and he smiled. "We all have our crosses to bear. Maybe one day you'll tell me yours."

"What did you do to her?" Grover yelled storming into the room where everyone was. "Hey! You tell me right now what you've done to her." Grover picked Barrett, who was sitting on a couch next to Nik Noodle who had his arm around her, up by the collar of his shirt. Noodle pulled Nik closer to him and away from the fight.
"Oh, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up. What'd he do?" "He's torturing my sister!"
"Okay, I am studying her."
"Don't lie to me."
"You're burning her."
"Hey, I never burned her."
"It was just a test."
"And it turns out, I was right. They're afraid of fire."
"So now we have a weapon against freaks."
"Son of a gun We kept your sister alive so we could survive. Show of hands, who thinks I'm doing the right thing?" Barrett asked after their long argument. "Doing the right thing would have been killing her." someone said Nik wasn't paying attention. "Tie vote." she heard. "Nik? What are you waiting for? Nik, she's still my sister." Grover said and Nik didn't say anything. "I mean, she's a human being." He added.
"Think of it as the greatest good for the greatest number. What is most useful? Nik." Barrett added.
"I can't do this." Nik said. "We all have our crosses to bear. Raise your hand, and we keep studying her." Nik froze in her tracks. That was Barretts way of telling her that if she didn't side with him he'd expose her for double crossing Violet. "Nik." Grovr asked hopefully. "I'm sorry, Grover." Nik sighed as she raised her hand. "How could you side with that jerk?" he asked bitterly. "Barrett has a point. The more we know about how this disease works-" Nik started but Grover interrupted her. "You don't understand. My sister's in a cage.
What is she, some sort of animal? Yesterday she was playing Tchaikovsky." Grover said. "Today she killed Zoey." Leshean added bitterly.

"Grover!" Nik called after him as he speed walked away down the hall. "Grover stop!" she said grabbing his arm. He spun around. "You know What sucks the most?" he said looking down at her. "I actually thought you were different." he said. "I am not like him." Nik said. "Grover please I really want to be friends." she said. "That's another thing." he said. "I never wanted to be friends. I wanted...I..." Grover leaned in and kissed her wrapping his arms around her back. He pulled away. "I'm so sorry. I had to do that once." he said before running away down the hall leaving Nik standing in the hallway shocked.