Secrets Part 3

"Hungry?" Nik heard someone ask and she peeked around the corner to see Natalie and Diesel, Natalie shoving cans into her locker and Diesel looking at him accusingly. "I realize it's not a free-for-all, but this is not what you think." she said and he scoffed. "You know what I think? I think you've been stealing food." he said pulling the cans out of her Locker one by one. Nik gasped a little to loudly and the pair looked over to where she had been as she had moved behind a set of lockers. They turned back to each other and Nik moved back to her original spot. "It's not that much. You don't have to take it all." Natalie said putting a few of the cans back in her locker. "Seriously? What is this? Like like, ten cans?" Diesel asked bitterly. "I can explain." she said and he stood ready to hear her explanation. "I have a doctor-prescribed calorie intake." she said but Nik could tell she was lying she just couldn't put her finger on what the truth was. "Yeah, 'cause there's two of you to feed." Nik gasped and backed away slowly no longer interested in eavesdropping on their conversation. "Natalie's pregnant" she whispered in shock. She hadn't been listening to the rest of their conversation but she did catch one thing Diesel had said. "We all have secrets."

Violet walked up to the vending machine when she saw Grover at it. "You sure know how to treat a girl." she said and he scoffed "Are you following me?" he asked accusingly and she replied "Or your evil twin." he said angrily "What's that supposed to mean?" "Nik told me. I mean, you're usually not a jerk." she said and he pulled his hand out of the vending machine. "This may come as a shock to you, but my world does not revolve around you." he said and walked away from her.

"All right, it's done." Diesel said as he walked into the room where everyone was, Leshean and Zoey on the couch, Barrett behind the desk working on the radio and everyone else standing around. "Boarded up all the ways in." He finished. "Any luck?" Nik asked Barrett. "We still here, ain't we?" Leshean replied rudely. "Hey! You better watch it" Noodle said to Leshean with his arm around Nik. "You mean despite all your technical wizardry?" Barrett asked Leshan. "If the freaks get in, I can still outrun you." Leshean said. "Don't forget that." he finished. Barrett ignored him. "Here's our tally of food." Natalie spoke up handing him some papers. "We have enough to last for a while." she told everyone. "Quantify 'a while'." Nik said an she sighed
"With careful rationing, just under two weeks." she replied and Nik looked at Noodle worriedly. "We won't last that long." They heard a raspy voice say from the doorway.

"They know we're in here." Mary said with a strange distant look on her face as she walked in. Almost ghostlike. "The freaks?" Noodle asked and then Diesel said "Yeah, I didn't notice any."
"You have to know where to look.
They hide in the haze, but they're coming. They're trying to get in." She elaborated in an airy tone and Nik shrunk into Noodles arm. "You're freaking my girlfriend out, Mary" Noodle said nervously. "Let 'em try to get in." Leshean said grabbing his baseball bat. "Your strength won't be enough. They know where you're hiding. They can sense things that we don't." she said. "Okay, this freshman chick's really freaking me out." Zoey said worriedly. "Yeah, I'm not worried. They can't even get through the shelter doors." Grover said smiling smugly. "Not yet." she replied and his smile faltered but this time she was looking at Barrett. "I don't scare that easily." he said and She quickly retorted. "Yes, you do.
You're a pretender." She said.
"Did I pretend to build a radio?" he asked her with a smirk. "They can smell your fear." She said.
"What about you? How long do you think you'll last?" he asked and she just smiled creepily before exiting the room. "Uh, I'm gonna say it now. That girl is high as -" Noodle started but Nik cut him off. "Funny. I was thinking the same thing."
"Better keep an eye on Mary."

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Violet asked Mary as she and her we're in the girl's bathroom. "Are you okay?" she continued to question the younger girl. "I don't like you." Mary replied cooly. "So get in line." Violet sneakily responded.
"You use boys." Mary said to justify her point. "And who are you to judge? You don't know me." Violet said with an heir of superiority. "My brother's one of a kind. Do you understand me? He is not a toy. He's gentle, and he is sweet, and you better treat him that way."Mary said ignoring everything Violet replied with. "I'm not even with your brother." she retorted. "You look after him. You take care of him. Or I will hunt you down.
Do you understand me?" Mary asked just as Nik walked in feeling ridiculously awkward. "Hey guys" She smiled to them before entering a stall. "I don't know what your damage is, but we're all doing our best here." Nik heard Violet say quietly then a door slam followed by another.