Miscalculation

By the time Gaster realized that moving the launch date was a huge mistake, it was too late. Announcements had been made, hopes had been raised, and the Royal Scientist and his team had to find a way to fulfill those hopes.

So they might have cut a few corners.

That might not have been so bad, except that he had been a horror to work with since his meeting with the queen. The friendly skeleton with a funny way of talking seemed to be gone, replaced by an impatient scientist constantly barking out orders and moving his hands in a way that suggested he thought everyone around him was an idiot.

For the most part, though, the interns chalked it up to stress. And while annoying, it wasn't really a problem. At least, not until the steam vents stopped working, and he insisted they fix it later.

So, as the Royal Scientist's Assistant, it was time for Erie to try and talk some sense into him.

She waited for the interns to be (grudgingly) allowed to go home before she approached him. It was harder than it used to be; the last time she'd stepped up to him with a breezy "Hey, Doc," had gotten her a glare that sent a chill through every scale.

He was hunched over his desk, scribbling intently. Erie sucked in a breath, then cleared her throat.

"Um, Dr. Gaster?"

"What?" he asked sharply, not even looking up.

She almost lost her nerve. Gaster was the Royal Scientist, after all, so maybe he knew best. But...before whatever happened, he'd talked about wanting to work together as equals. So she had to prove she was up to that challenge. She stood up straight.

"Dr. Gaster, we need to stop the expansion."

Gaster's hand stilled, and his shoulders stiffened. He was quiet for a long moment, then shook his head as he returned to writing. "No, we do not. You do remember that we have a deadline to meet, Erie?"

"Yes, but—"

"Then we cannot waste a moment." He huffed. "We should still be working. We could most likely finish early if we did."

"Gaster, someone's gonna get really hurt if we keep working like this!" Erie protested. Gaster waved a hand dismissively.

"It will be fine."

"No, I don't think it will!" Erie's tail thrashed around agitatedly, and she took the deepest breath she could. "Dr. Gaster, we need to push back the launch."

"What?" Gaster finally whirled around, sockets wide. "I am sorry, are you the Royal Scientist?"

Erie swallowed, doing her best to meet his sockets even as she felt his gaze boring into her. "No, but...but I know a good scientist should look out for others. It's not safe! Marsel's still recovering from when he got scalded the other day, and you didn't even bat an eye! And...and the Core's overtaxing itself while only putting out two-thirds of its usual energy and...and..." She let out an annoyed grunt as she threw up her hands. "Honestly, I don't even know why you changed the date!"

Gaster was silent for a long moment, an ugly scowl on his face. He huffed and turned back to his work. "You would not understand."

"Try me, doc!"