Announcement

In Snowdin, two monsters sat watching their children, steaming mugs warming their paws. From inside their houses, next door to each other, electric light filtered out from the windows, reflected on the snowy ground.

"Did you hear? They're activating the last of the Core tonight," one of them, a bunny monster, said.

"Really? It—Jordie! I said stop tackling your brother!—So it's finally done." Her friend, a mouse-like monster, took a sip of her tea. "It's about time. Seems like they've been working on it forever."

"Well, that explosion threw everyone for a loop. Work must've shut down for five years after that."

"Explosion?"

"Did you never hear about that? Goodness, I'm showing my age. Oh, Nellie, honey, please don't use your sleeve to wipe your nose!" The bunny lowered her voice. "Anyway, I barely remember it myself; I was just in striped shirts. Anyway, there was a huge explosion about halfway through the Core being built."

"Goodness sakes! Was anyone hurt?"

"I think a couple of workers might have died? I know there's a plaque somewhere in the Core." The bunny shook her head. "For ages, the only place with power was New Home. I never thought they'd even go so far as to light the Ruins."

"Well, that Royal Scientist does like being thorough. Well, that's what I've heard, at least." The mouse sipped her drink. "Hey! Do you think he'll come out? I mean, this is a pretty big thing for him."

"Oh, he probably will. He's been working on this for almost fifty years. Why?"

"I just think he's fascinating. He's so mysterious, and he never speaks!"

"That's true, isn't it?" The bunny traced her mug. "You're right, he is a mystery."

"Well, I'd better gather everyone if we're going to make it to New Home to see the speech. Thanks for the tea, Vill." The mouse stood up, then thought of something. "Speaking of the Royal Scientist, isn't it funny how he always wears black?"

~

It was remarkable how quickly a century could pass.

The Core had been fully operation for quite some time now—it had taken twenty more years than anticipated, yes, but considering it was more or less completed by just himself, that wasn't too bad. But this time there were no explosions, no casualties, and after the rounds of congratulations had been completed, Gaster was free to retreat to the lab and enjoy his solitude.

Oh, certainly, the Dreemurrs coaxed him out every now and again—he and Toriel had...well, not reconciled, per se, but the worst of the awkwardness between them was gone and things were pleasant. There was also the obligatory attendance for royal engagements and speeches, but less now than there had been a century ago; since the accident, Asgore hadn't insisted he come nearly so much.

For the most part, though, he stayed in his lab, trying to find things to do. He updated the New Home section of the Core, which it needed after a century. He came up with better pipes and security systems. As of right now, he was writing a textbook on magic and physics in the Underground (though it would definitely need an editor.)

While there were still things to be done as the Royal Scientist, he couldn't help but feel a bit empty now that his work on the Core was over. After all, he'd spent nearly half his life working on it, and since it was complete, there was no more planning to be done. He had time. And quite frankly, he didn't know what to do with it.