Arrival

Part 3: The Human

~

Despite everything, it was actually very hard to resent Asriel. As he grew, he proved to be an incredibly charming child. Yes, he represented the end of their new normal Underground; yes, he would be the source of his parents' demise when he was grown. But he had so much of Asgore's friendliness and humility—it seemed like he only knew he was the prince when forced to stand through very important ceremonies, and even then, he would sometimes sneak away halfway through to play with his friends.

That's not to say there wasn't a good deal of Toriel in him, though. He was inquisitive; by age 8, he'd traipsed through most of the Underground to satiate his endless curiosity. And, on the rare occasion Gaster was put on "babysitting" duty, Asriel would spend nearly the entire time asking questions about the Lab and the Core.

Gaster...wasn't keen on children, no. But he found that he didn't mind Asriel at all.

But, really, the troubling part was never Asriel himself. It was Toriel and Asgore. Gaster wasn't prepared for how quickly Toriel and Asgore would age. In less than ten years, they were solidly middle-aged. But, still basking in the glow of parenthood, neither of the Dreemurrs were bothered. Toriel laughingly noted that she would need reading glasses soon; Asgore poked fun at the fact that his mane of blond hair had begun to recede.

They settled comfortably into this phase of life, apparently at ease with the fact that their time was running out.

Gaster was horrified.

But, in spite of that, he said nothing. Because really, what could he say? The only thing that would stop this would be Asriel's death. And even on his most callous, bitter days, Gaster could never wish for that.

So, in a strange, forced way, he found peace with it as well.

~

This day started like any other. The door to the lab opened without any warning, but the soft footsteps immediately told Gaster who it was. He pushed himself away from his notes—the Core could do with some puzzle updates—and stood up.

"Ah! I will need some form of identification," he called to the intruder. He smiled as he heard the giggle.

"Dr. Gaster, it's me!" Asriel set a package on one of the lab tables before pulling himself up into one of the chairs with a grin. Gaster shook his head as he walked over.

"I cannot trust that. What if you are an imposter?" Asriel laughed as Gaster glanced down at the neatly wrapped bundle. "What is this?"

"I can only tell you if you believe that I'm Asriel!"

Gaster smiled, then picked up the little package. "Well, if my hypothesis is correct, then this is a pie from Toriel. And, if that is the case, then you must be Asriel." He looked down at the boy. "May I open it to verify?"

Asriel grinned and nodded. Gaster gave the string a quick tug, and he smiled as he caught a whiff of cinnamon.

"This is definitely one of your mother's pies, so you must be Asriel," he said, then bowed his head. "Forgive my doubt, your highness."

Asriel laughed before nodding back, ears flopping. "You're forgiven." As Gaster went to put the pie away, Asriel hopped down to follow him. "Mom said I have to make sure you eat it."

"She sent you all this way just to make sure I eat?"

"Well, and because she and Dad have some sort of meeting with some spiders."