Grief

The Underground was in chaos.

It was a quiet chaos, yes, but in the week since Asriel and Chara's deaths, uncertainty and panic buzzed in the air from Home to New Home. What was to be done now that the prince was dead? Would Toriel and Asgore have another child? Could they? And what of the humans? Were they going to try and attack the monsters again?

Things might not have been so tense if the Dreemurrs would just say something. But the king and queen were out of sight, without so much as a word coming from their house. Of course no one wanted to bother them; losing two children in one day was more grief than any parent should have to bear.

But monsters needed guidance. And if there was no direction for their society to take, then life in the Underground would be damaged beyond saving. They needed their leaders to lead.

That was why Gaster risked going to the Dreemurrs' home.

Obviously he was nervous. Chara had told their parents that he had hurt them, and in their grief, it was entirely possible that one (or both) could lash out at him because of that. If they did...well, he often forgot how strong boss monsters were, but on the few occasions he witnessed Toriel and Asgore's full potential, it was terrifying.

But no one else was willing to interrupt their grieving—even Gerson was hesitant to go visit when Gaster mentioned the idea. Monsters were empathetic to a fault, after all. So, rationally enough, it had to be a non-monster who got things moving.

As he reached their front door, he took a deep breath. He'd speak quickly, just in case the worst happened. He signed what he planned to say a few times, just to make sure he was ready, then gritted his teeth as he rapped his knuckles on the door.

After a few moments, he heard heavy footsteps on the other side. The door opened, and the doorframe was filled by Asgore's hulking frame. The king's eyes flashed as he looked down at the Royal Scientist.

"Gaster..."

Gaster completely forgot what he had planned to say. Asgore was haggard, his face grim. This had been a mistake. He had to be furious at him. Gaster's hands moved, and he forced himself to say whatever he could before Asgore lashed out.

"S-so-something needs to be done. O-or said. The Underground is n—" He gasped as a huge weight descended on him.

Asgore was...hugging him.

Gaster blinked. This...was not what he had planned. He had expected fireballs, or even a jab from Asgore's rarely-used trident, but not a hug. Especially not one that begged for comfort.

"Thank you for visiting," Asgore whispered, giving the skeleton a squeeze hard enough to pop his spine a few times. "Things have been so hard. This means a lot."

Gaster glanced over at the king, then let out a long breath before patting his back. "Of course. I understand." He moved a bit, prompting Asgore to release him, then looked up at the king seriously. "But there are things that need to be discussed. May we speak for a bit?"

Asgore nodded, backing away to let Gaster into the house. "Uh, don't...don't go into the throne room. We still..." He swallowed as his voice broke. "It's still too early."

"I understand." Gaster looked around the house, browbone creased. The previously cozy atmosphere was replaced with the same quiet chaos filling the rest of the Underground. A few pieces of furniture were broken, several of Asriel and Chara's things were left in the living room—whether they were left behind before Chara's illness or were pulled out after the children's deaths, he wasn't sure.