Evaluation

True to their word, Chara did their best to fit in with the monsters. Gaster, of course, could still see the awkwardness, the doubt, the second-guessing-but, then again, it wasn't all that long ago that he had been in Chara's shoes. Maybe Toriel was right.

Except...she wasn't.

Humans and monsters were fundamentally different. There was that...drive, that inclination toward conflict. But why? What gave them that? Was it a mere matter of being more solid than monsters? Was it simply a cultural development? Or was it something deeper, something that was more intrinsic to humanity as a whole?

The question rattled around in his skull for weeks, distracting him from his textbook. Half-baked theories were scattered around the lab, but he was still no closer to finding the answer to the question of what made humans...humans.

Of course...there was a way to experiment. After all, there was a viable candidate for study in very close proximity. And surely something like this would benefit monsters as a whole.

Yes, this was a good idea. He had no doubt that Asgore and Toriel would agree.

~

"Absolutely not!"

Gaster winced at the tandem dismissal. Really, he should have had some doubt going into this. He stood up straight and held up his hands.

"Please, hear me out," he said quickly, looking between the two frowning monarchs. "We have never had an opportunity for a study like this before. If we can study Chara, we may be able to find out what makes humans so different. So, when the Bar-"

"Chara is not different," Asgore said firmly.

Gaster couldn't help his irritated huff at that. But before he could argue, Toriel added, "And they are certainly not a...a lab rat for you to poke at. This is absolute nonsense, Gaster."

Gaster set his jaw, hands twitching out a few irritated words before he forced them down to his side. "As well-intentioned as you both are, Chara is a human. And this study will give us the opportunity to understand humans." Both Dreemurrs opened their mouths to argue, but he waved his hands quickly and blazed on, signing wildly. "And if we ever intend on getting out of this hole and getting back to the Surface, then we must know what we are up against, or else we will only be forced back into this tomb!"

His voice had grown steadily louder as he spoke, with the last few words being shouted out. He stopped to catch a breath, and Asgore and Toriel stared at him. They'd never heard their friend get so loud. Gaster flexed his hands and swallowed before drawing back into his usual collected pose before speaking again.

"So...so I believe that it would be in our best intentions if we-"

"I'll do it."

All three turned back to the throne room's door. It was slightly ajar, and a pair of dark, wide eyes stared out at them. Toriel sighed.

"Chara, what have I said about eaves-"

"I want to do it," Chara interrupted again, stepping into the room. They looked at their parents, their chin lifted. "If it can help us fight the humans, then I want to do it."

Asgore sighed. "We aren't going to fight anyone," he assured. "And besides, we..."

"See? This is just what Dr. Gaster said!" Chara exclaimed. They let out a little breath as they looked up at their parents. "Look...I know I'm different. I don't want to be, but I am. And...and if I can help monsters figure out how to get back on the Surface, then I wanna do whatever I can."