- Chapter: Twenty Two-

After my brother left my chambers

After my brother left my chambers. I took what I thought to be a small nap, but I slept for three hours straight.

In the afternoon, I woke up with a group of women staring at me wide eyed. I gasped and sat on my bed.

"Forgive us, lady." One of the women said as she looked at our feet, "We did not know whether to wake you up or let you sleep."

I looked at them confused. What were they doing here?

"Oh," the woman who spoke first said, "We forgot to introduce ourselves. We will be working with your service, my lady. If you need anything, you can call us."

Why would I need anything? If I did, why won't I be able to get it myself?

"We even have a woman who understands sign among us." she said pointing at an old lady, "Nala here has experience with a mute neighbour and has learned few tricks. Communication won't is a problem."

I nodded at Nala and tried to smile. I did not want to make them nervous. But they definitely made me nervous. What was I supposed to do? I was clueless. Where was Aqib when I needed him to explain things to me?

"Right," their cheerful spokesperson said, "Do you wish to have your breakfast or lunch? The doctor said that you must eat. You cannot remain hungry anymore. It will affect your health."

I looked out the window. It was clearly afternoon. Why would I want to have breakfast?

"The lady will want her lunch," Nala spoke up and gave me a smile. I smiled back unsure.

The other women went into action, some of them went out while the other arranged things in a way so that I could have lunch in bed.

"The young woman - Safia - is new to the service. She is as excited and nervous just like you. Forgive her!" Nala said.

Why were they so keen for my forgiveness? Did they think that I will get bothered by minute things? I wanted to tell them that I knew nothing and it did not matter to me. In my response, I nodded.

They arranged my lunch on the bed. They said that my lunch was specifically made to suit my health needs. It was simple - or as simple things in a palace could be. For a girl, who survived on lentil soup, even their simple food was too much.

By the time I was done, I was filled up till my throat.

While I was eating Nala explained to me that what I had thought to be an ordinary dinner with the Prince and other was, in fact, an extravagant banquet held by the Prince in honour of us. She said that it was important for the Prince to keep throwing such things. It showed that all was well within the walls of the Palace even it wasn't. Such things also kept the nobles happy. Her eyes turned sad when she said that but she did not continue and I was again lost in my thought with same question repeating. What had happened to the Monarch?