Chapter Five: A Trip to Jotunheim

Loki ran way. Terrified. He didn't want to see his father or Thor, or even his reflection. He just ran to his room like a child would. He was so close to tears and so close to screaming. He threw his door open and slammed it behind him. He ran to his bed and collapsed in a huge heap. He was weak. He was pathetic. He was no prince. He was a monster, and that's why his father was not telling him the one thing that felt like a tear in his very soul. No matter how much he tried. He would never be the same. Loki knew this. And the more he recognized this fear of his, he wondered if there was a fear greater than this one. But he thought there wasn't. And so on that day, Loki cried for once in his life. The God of Mischief turned into the God of Misfortune, and while all of Loki's world unraveled, Odin paced above trying to piece it together again.

-----

"Heimdall, I wish to enter Jotunheim," Odin ordered at he fearlessly strode into the golden dome.

"I know," Heimdall chuckled. "But they won't be too happy in seeing you. Not only did your adopted son destroy half of their world, but your guards also destroyed the Queen's head security guard."

"Are you questioning my ability to find a diplomatic solution to our problems? And do not point out my past mistakes," Odin snapped.

"I was merely making you aware of what you were walking into, my King."

"Fair enough. Now open the bifrost."

With that said, Heimdall thrust his sword into the center pillar. Like a key in a lock, the sword unlocked the bifrost and it sent Odin toward Jotunheim. Just before his feet hit the ground, he wondered what he was even going to say.

A moment later, and Odin was standing firmly on ice. He looked around to see that Jotunheim was in ruin. The once crumbling pillars were now demolished piles of ruble. He walked on as he past frozen bodies of fallen warriors, and uneven ground that threatened to crumble under his confident steps. He wandered until he found a throne-like structure in the distance. "They've been busy building," Odin mumbled. He thought it was silly that a race made to destroy would try to rebuild.

He made it to the base of a black column and waited for instruction. He knew that the frost giants knew that he was here, and it wouldn't be long until he is greeted with a face, or an icy spear. While waiting, he looked around. The only thing this icy world contained was rock, snow, and danger. He couldn't believe that such a powerful empire could fall. Then again, he was the one who destroyed it.

Odin was interrupted when he heard a low and cackle-like voice. "How may we help you," it questioned.

"I have come to be in presence of The Queen," Odin said surely.

The origin of the voice appeared as a frost giant guard approached Odin from behind the stone structure. "The Queen does not want to be-" he was suddenly cut off. Odin wondered what happened. It appeared as if the Jotun was listening to something behind him. "Never mind," the giant mumbled. "You may enter," he said while walking back behind the stones.

Just then two more guards suddenly appeared behind Odin, pushing him forward. They approached the stone structure and then rounded the corner of it to reach the back. What Odin saw surprised him. At least ten frost giants, five on each side, were armed and ready to defend what appeared to be the queen who sat on a broken stone throne in between the two groups of five guards. The area had no roof or walls. All that was present was a snowy floor and the broken stone chair that sat elevated ten small steps up on the far side of the tiny clearing. Odin must have been dumbfounded, because a guard behind him aggressively bumped him forward. With a guard on each side of him, he bowed before the queen.

She was sitting on the throne with her chin up high while looking down upon the mighty Odin. Her skin was a lighter blue than her fellow Jotuns, and she wasn't as big as them either. But her eyes were a scary shade a red that looked into your soul and made you uncomfortable. The dress she wore mimicked that of a pile of freshly fallen snow. It glistened like ice and was decorated with such intricate details like that of a snowflake. She had her hands on the arms of her chair and looked very serious. She was a force to be reckoned with. She was extremely dangerous, extremely beautiful, and extremely young.

"What do you desire," She asked with her most grown up voice. Being just a child, she had to be loud and proud.

"Answers," Odin replied while looking up at her, but avoiding her eyes. He didn't want her to feel threatened.

"So do I," she said while glancing at an empty space directly to her right. "Like how my head of security didn't come back home."

Odin gulped. "He didn't have a reason to be in Asgard," Odin tried to defend himself.

"He was a good man," she protested.

"He was no man," Odin simply said.

"He was my protection," she concluded. "And now that he's gone I expect you think that I am unprotected."

"Of course not," Odin said trying to appease her.

"You are wise to think that," the young queen said while gesturing to the hundreds of pairs of red eyes that seemed to come out of the darkness from nowhere. "But what answers do you seek?"

"I ask that you would come back to Asgard with me," Odin said.

His words caught the queen off guard. "Asgard? Why? So you can attack me from all sides when you have the upper hand?" She asked clearly threatened. And her attitude sent a whirl of icy cold wind down and around her fellow Jotuns that seemed to rile them up.

"Of course not," Odin pleaded. "I would never be so foolish as to end such a young and valuable life."

"Flattery will get you nowhere, Odin. Why do you want me in Asgard," she questioned while leaning closer.

"Because your source of power and all your answers are there. I know you want the best for your people. I have the resources to make your world grand once again."

"What's in it for you?" The Queen stood and descended the steps. She was interested in his offer of power and safety for her future generations of Jotunheim.

"A happier son," Odin concluded honestly.

After a minute that seemed like an eternity, the queen stated, "Odin Allfather, King of Asgard, I will contemplate your offer."

"Byleistra Laufeyson, Queen of Jotunheim, I await your presence."

--------------

Wow, guys! Fifth chapter! I'm surprised I made it this far. I hope you guys liked these chapters. I apologize though if they are a bit confusing. I'm slowly running out of ideas so if anyone wishes to suggest something, just leave it in the comments :) please vote and let me know how I did on these chapters. The next chapters will be out in maybe the next week!