Chapter Ten: Settling In and Catching Up

"Here we go," Loki said as he ushered Byleistra with a hand on her waist into her new room for the time being. "If you go through the doors over there," He said pointing to the gold double-doors across the room, "They will open up to the balcony." Loki walked over to the doors and opened both of them. They let in a gold light that settled on the ground before their feet and warmed the air around them. Loki walked to the balcony and rested his forearms on the edge, clasping his hands in front of him and looking out over all of Asgard. "Beautiful isn't it?" He said looking at Byleistra.

"I prefer Jotenheim," she teased while playfully nudging him with her elbow. "Does it snow here?" She asked nonchalantly. She looked at the new skin on her hand. She was pale. Just like freshly fallen snow.

"No," Loki said starting to frown. "I suppose that's the one thing that it wrong with this place. There is no snow." Loki didn't know why, but he now missed the sight of snow. Yet he had been used to the warmth of Asgard all this time. He frowned as he looked over the kingdom.

As if sensing his displeasure, Byleistra said, "Well, I guess I'll have to create my own." She said this while moving her hands in an odd fashion. Loki watched as she conjured up a small cloud and placed it above the balcony. She snapped her fingers, and small, delicate snow flakes begun to fall from the tiny cloud above their heads. "I still have my powers," Byleistra mumbled astonished to her self.

Loki smiled as he looked up. The intricate snowflakes made a quick appearance on his outstretched hands, before turning to a raindrop in his palm. "That's what I call magic," he said grinning. "Do all Jotuns have this power?" He asked genuinely interested. He wanted to know how a race of monsters could create such beauty.

"No," Byleistra replied. "Just ones of Royal descent. Because the King or Queen of Jotenheim has the power to destroy, they are also given the power to rebuild. If their kingdom falls they can make it snow, hail, and create marvelous cities because of this power." Byleistra frowned. "But my kingdom is dying," she said looking at Loki, who now ignored the snow around them and focused on Byleistra. "Our home is growing weaker. The ice is melting, the ground is crumbling, and people are dying. I need to know what is happening. That's a reason why I am here," she explained.

Loki remembered what he done that handful of years ago. He opened the bifrost to their world, and left it so it would destroy that race. It was his fault. "It's my fault," he admitted. "I opened that bifrost and created a mess in Jotenheim." He looked and Byleistra and with all the sincerity he could muster, he said the few words that no one thought Loki, The God of Mischief say, "I am truly sorry. I have made a mess and nearly killed you in the process."

Loki was ashamed, and Byleistra didn't want him to feel that way. "No, brother," she said while taking his hands in hers. "It is not your fault. Our race, I believe, was cursed with bad luck. This is merely dark magic trying to destroy what it created. This is bigger than you, me and all of the Jotuns combined. I must speak with an elder of Asgardian ethnicity in order to find out what happened many millennium ago. The history can help us now and better our future." She looked up at her brother smiling. "Enough talk about business. I've lost hundreds of years of your life. I plan on gaining every amount of information I can from you."

Loki smiled down at Byleistra. "Then we better get started considering the fact that I need to get to know you as well." Loki took her hand and led her through the doorway of her room, out into the golden corridor. Loki shut the door and took her arm. They started to walk down the corridor and Loki started the conversation by saying, "So where do we begin?"

"I'm not sure," Byleistra said. "Who are you friends?"

Loki didn't speak. "I'm not sure who my friends are," he said truthfully. Wait, truthfully? The Loki was speaking truthfully? What was with him when he was with her? Loki had no clue.

"What do you mean?" Byleistra tried to clarify for herself.

Loki tried to think of the words to explain it. He dragged his feet while walking down the corridor. Byleistra was about to repeat herself when Loki said, "I suppose people think I'm different and don't choose to be friends with someone like me." Loki shrugged. "But I guess it's easier. I like my privacy."

"That sounds rather lonely," Byleistra said frowning. "I'm your friend right?" She said teasingly.

"Well, you're my sister. I have to put up with you," he teased right back. Byleistra playfully swatted his shoulder. "Who is Helblindi?" Loki asked randomly. Byleistra looked at him a weird way. "What? You can't tell me?"

"Of course I can tell you," Byleistra started. "He's a friend," she simply stated. Avoiding a question as usual. They walked down the stepped of the palace and into the open air. "It's so pretty," Byleistra said even though she couldn't care less right now on the scenery. She just wanted to change the subject.

"Stop lying," Loki said seeing through her façade. "There is something more to it than that. I saw the way he looked at you. Tell me more," he almost commanded. Byleistra let out a very unladylike grunt and continued walking without saying a word. "Please," Loki said, even though the word killed him.

"He's a warrior," Byleistra started. "He's a strong man with the mind of a child and the heart of a lover." Byleistra stopped dead in her tracks. "I think I like him," she said with her brow furrowed and a confused look on her face.

"Well that's good isn't it?" Loki prompted. "Why do you seem so worried?" Loki chuckled at his sister's incapacity to imagine love at such a young age. The closest thing he felt to love was what he felt for Thor. But now that feeling is nothing compared to what he feels now. This was his blood sibling. They are one of the same.

"I'm not sure," she said still seemingly confused. "It wasn't supposed to be this way." Byleistra spoke in hushed words as she took her hands to massage her temples while looking down at her feet.

"What do mean," Loki said looking at his confused sister. "Hey," Loki whispered as he lifted her chin with his finger so she could look up at him. "What's wrong?"

Byleistra had tears in her eyes, and she spoke quickly. "I-I," she stammered. "A prophecy said that the Jotun Queen would fall in love with a traitor," Byleistra stepped away from Loki. "It said that she would have to kill him in the end because of the mistakes he made." Loki approached her and wrapped her in his arms. He wasn't sure what else to do. She was crying and he wanted to comfort her. "I don't want to love Helblindi," she sobbed. "Then I'd have to kill him. Do you really think he would betray his own Queen?"

Loki set him chin on the top of her head, still holding her and said, "I can't tell for sure. But I don't think he would do something so terrible to his own kind and Queen."

As if to crush their hopes for peace, a guard dressed in gold approached them, sword in hand. "Prince Loki," the guard started. Loki looked up letting go of Byleistra but still keeping her under his arm and close to his side. "A small group of frost giants have made their way into the Weapons' Vault. They were stopped, but your father needs you and Queen Byleistra to assess the damage."

These words brought Byleistra more pain. She began to sob but it only turned to anger. Frost giants? Breaking in? This information only solidified the fact that she was going to kill the one she loved. But that's only if the Asgardians don't get to him first.

-----

Am I writing this just for myself? Lol.

I hope you guys liked this chapter! Sorry it took so long to get it up. Comment your favorite part! I'm running out of ideas so comment ideas as well. Bye, loves :)